• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger precision rifle - Do I really want one?

It's my just-out-of-reach most desired firearm right now.

Would love to get one in 6.5CM put some nice glass on it, take some long range classes, and go for it.

Just not in the cards right now.

:cold:

I hunted with the gen 1 version,that I have posted on here for sale.I did not have a problem hunting with it,and it is the most accurate rifle that I have ever owned.Only reason it is for sale,is I'm going to try out the gen 2 this year
I just bought the gen 2.

This is mine. Just waiting on the glass now.
20170222_171202.jpg
Screenshot_20170226-071738.png

Been thinking about a new Gen II Ruger precision rifle in .308. I can find them on GB for 1150.00 to my door (less than ODT prices) but do I really want one?? Are they worth that much? are they that accurate? is it a viable hunting platform for here in Georgia? I have optics that would work great already so I'm not worried about that or ammo for that matter. I have have a bunch of 308 loaded and can experiment if needed. So just let me know what you think or even for that matter what you've heard.

1. I think they're worth that much. I don't like the trigger, and I don't like the buttstock, but they're easily swapped out, and they're dang good shooting rifles. I would swap the trigger for a Timney and the stock for a Gen2 Magpul PRS, but you may like the OEM setup just fine.

2. Very accurate. I haven't had one in my school yet that wasn't a shooter, in any caliber.

3. I believe it to be a viable hunting platform, but again, YMMV. I "hunted" all around the world for 6 years with a rifle that was much heavier, in worse terrain than we've got in GA.

4. I know a friend of a friend that is selling a Gen2 .308, if you're interested.

Dennis, have you scoped it yet, or shot it yet?
Im still waiting in the scope. I shot it and loved it. So far the recoil is great and trigger is great. I stocked up on some norma match rounds and when the glass comes in I'm sighting it in. I wanted to sign up for that sniper course on ODT but didn't have the right rifle till now.

I hunted with the gen 1 version,that I have posted on here for sale.I did not have a problem hunting with it,and it is the most accurate rifle that I have ever owned.Only reason it is for sale,is I'm going to try out the gen 2 this year
If you're not changing calibers, why not just buy an upgraded bolt shroud and add your own muzzle device? You could also sell your Samson hand guard if you don't like it, and get what you want. Even if you wanted to change calibers, it's easy to swap the barrel. Just a thought. Pretty much what I did with mine

1. I think they're worth that much. I don't like the trigger, and I don't like the buttstock, but they're easily swapped out, and they're dang good shooting rifles. I would swap the trigger for a Timney and the stock for a Gen2 Magpul PRS, but you may like the OEM setup just fine.

2. Very accurate. I haven't had one in my school yet that wasn't a shooter, in any caliber.

3. I believe it to be a viable hunting platform, but again, YMMV. I "hunted" all around the world for 6 years with a rifle that was much heavier, in worse terrain than we've got in GA.

4. I know a friend of a friend that is selling a Gen2 .308, if you're interested.
I just bought mine for like $1228 but Georgia Gun store is out of stock now. Somebody posted one for $1300 that's a good deal. And plenty accurate.

Back
Top Bottom