• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger precision rifle - Do I really want one?

Mounting a scope on a Ruger PR is like mounting one on a flattop AR. You're gonna need something. Nightforce High or X-High rings would work, but I'd go with a one-piece mounting system. The Nightforce Unimount is a great one.

I ended up with a Team Warne 1 piece on mine. Would love that NF Unimount, but dayum...$$$$ lol

ETA: Oops, those aren't that bad. I thought that was the 1 piece RTZ mount you passed around a year ago in an optics class that was $500...lol

I see the Unimount is only around $225.

Here's an easy way to find out what height rings will work best.

Stack pennies in even stacks on the mount about where your rings would go. Build the stacks up until you get the scope at the ideal height that you want.

Take one of the penny stacks and measure the height (preferrably with calipers). If you don't have calipers, the thickness of the average penny is .0593".

You will now have your ideal saddle height (top of the base to the bottom of the scope body or tube). In the accompanying photo, that is height "B".

You will want to purchase a set of rings with a "B" height as close as possible to what you measured from your stack of washers

When purchasing your rings, if they are sold using height "A" (top of base to center of ring) then you will need to:

Add .5" to your washer measurements if you have a 1" scope tube

Add .59055" to your washer measurements if you have a 30mm tube

Add .66929" to your washer measurements if you have a 34mm tube

Add .688975" to your washer measurements if you have a 35mm tube

Alternatively, you could subtract those numbers from the "A" height of the scope rings manufacturer's specs and that would give you the "B" height, it'll work either way.

IMG_4339.JPG

The American Defense mounts work great with flattop 5.56's, but I've seen issues with scopes sliding in them when used on an AR10-type .308. Not sure how it would do on a .308 bolt gun.

The American Defense mounts work great with flattop 5.56's, but I've seen issues with scopes sliding in them when used on an AR10-type .308. Not sure how it would do on a .308 bolt gun.

That's interesting. They were in sale for like $110 the other day (QD model), but I held off to get one for my AR10. Do they just need to be lapped or is something wrong with the clamping design of the rings?

I ended up with a Team Warne 1 piece on mine. Would love that NF Unimount, but dayum...$$$$ lol

ETA: Oops, those aren't that bad. I thought that was the 1 piece RTZ mount you passed around a year ago in an optics class that was $500...lol

I see the Unimount is only around $225.

The one I passed around was a Global Defense Initiatives P-ROM. It's a QD mount, returns to zero within .01MOA. They're $600 now!

The NF Unimount is an outstanding mount. When torqued properly, mine have always returned to zero.

That's interesting. They were in sale for like $110 the other day (QD model), but I held off to get one for my AR10. Do they just need to be lapped or is something wrong with the clamping design of the rings?

No idea. I remounted one twice in the same weekend while on a JP Enteprises .308 and couldn't stop it from sliding. I checked the mount out and everything seemed fine on it. I've talked with numerous other folks that had the same issue, also when used on a .308 or larger. Never seen any issues when used on a .223/5.56/.300AAC.

Finally got my rifle last night. To be honest it looks and feels like an awful lot of gun and technology for the money I spent. I did end up with the. 6.5 Creedmoor. I had already got a Vortex scope in the 6.5-24 and that too seems like a quality piece. The reloading components had already arrived. The only thing still missing are the rings. I ordered a set
directly from Vortex but just got an email they're out of stock. .....darn

Finally got my rifle last night. To be honest it looks and feels like an awful lot of gun and technology for the money I spent. I did end up with the. 6.5 Creedmoor. I had already got a Vortex scope in the 6.5-24 and that too seems like a quality piece. The reloading components had already arrived. The only thing still missing are the rings. I ordered a set
directly from Vortex but just got an email they're out of stock. .....darn

Plenty of rings as good as, and better than, the Vortex out there. Pick up something else.

I did call and cancel the order. Any suggestions for getting something decent withour breaking the bank, also quickly
Check out MidwayUSA. They have a good variety and the shipping has been very fast as of late. I've gotten some items the next day with standard shipping.

Back
Top Bottom