• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Precision Tactical rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Just wanting to know if anyone has had the opportunity to shoot one or if anyone owns one. I am kicking around the idea of adding one to the collection. I also notice that Savage has a similar rifle and wanted to get some feedback from a member who has had some interaction with these guns. Also wanted some input on caliber. I have a self built AR 10 that is freaky accurate so I would already be stocked on ammo but I like the idea of the 6.5 caliber as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanx guys.

Just wanting to know if anyone has had the opportunity to shoot one or if anyone owns one. I am kicking around the idea of adding one to the collection. I also notice that Savage has a similar rifle and wanted to get some feedback from a member who has had some interaction with these guns. Also wanted some input on caliber. I have a self built AR 10 that is freaky accurate so I would already be stocked on ammo but I like the idea of the 6.5 caliber as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanx guys.

I'll tell you what I know.
I wanted one, so I started asking around at our range.
Amazingly I got mixed reviews (almost all were 6.5, being shot by guys that shoot that round in other rifles they own.)

One went up for sale from a guy I'm pretty good friends with, so I went to speak with him about it.
He wouldn't sell it to me!
Said I'd be disappointed and wouldn't be happy with it.
He said it wouldn't shoot consistently.

(Now this guys a really, really fine shooter, I asked if maybe it was the scope or something and he said he tried everything and he was just terribly disappointed, I would be too and he wouldn't sell it to me.)

There's others out there that like the rifle, it's supposed to be capable of fine accuracy.
But when you spend a lot of time around hundreds of rifle shooters you realize that one man's accuracy measurements is not like another's.

So it's on the back burner and I guess I'm looking for something else....

I have a Gen 2 in 6.5cm. Solid rifle for a good price.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...ccuracy-results-and-overall-comments.1330719/

Here is my last 600 yard target at the CMP with it.

13aa4a71f838bcd7ac85d69e3b4a612f.jpg

fd60d48c28f75d48137701a501eef2d6.jpg

Still working up loads for it, but mine currently likes the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELd-X best. I have another 80 reloads ready to test next time I hit the range. Hoping to improve on the .85 MOA at 600.

For me, the RPR is in a configuration I personally like better than the BA Stealth (Savage).

are they 1/4 Moa guns? not all of them but they are not bad for what they are. My buddy has one and he shoots his sometimes at Highpower Matches up at Riverbend.

I have a Gen 2 in 6.5cm. Solid rifle for a good price.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...ccuracy-results-and-overall-comments.1330719/

Here is my last 600 yard target at the CMP with it.

13aa4a71f838bcd7ac85d69e3b4a612f.jpg

fd60d48c28f75d48137701a501eef2d6.jpg

Still working up loads for it, but mine currently likes the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELd-X best. I have another 80 reloads ready to test next time I hit the range. Hoping to improve on the .85 MOA at 600.

For me, the RPR is in a configuration I personally like better than the BA Stealth (Savage).

Boy I'd be happy with that, without a doubt...

As far as 6.5cm goes compared to the more popular 308, it's ballistically superior. A quick Google search will yield quite a few articles about the great performance of 6.5cm vs 308.

For me, given that 6.5/308 share about the same cost for factory ammo and reloads, I would rather have the reduced recoil and improved ballistics of 6.5, hence why I ordered mine in 6.5. I have a 308 barrel for my RPR, but, with my accuracy results, I see zero reason to swap it at this point unless it's for a better 6.5cm barrel.

I'll tell you what I know.
I wanted one, so I started asking around at our range.
Amazingly I got mixed reviews (almost all were 6.5, being shot by guys that shoot that round in other rifles they own.)

One went up for sale from a guy I'm pretty good friends with, so I went to speak with him about it.
He wouldn't sell it to me!
Said I'd be disappointed and wouldn't be happy with it.
He said it wouldn't shoot consistently.

(Now this guys a really, really fine shooter, I asked if maybe it was the scope or something and he said he tried everything and he was just terribly disappointed, I would be too and he wouldn't sell it to me.)

There's others out there that like the rifle, it's supposed to be capable of fine accuracy.
But when you spend a lot of time around hundreds of rifle shooters you realize that one man's accuracy measurements is not like another's.

So it's on the back burner and I guess I'm looking for something else....

If the guy normally shoots a AICS or GAP bolt rifle, I could see him turning his nose up at one, especially if it's not one of those magical 1/4 MOA factory barrels, but for someone who doesn't want to dump $4,500 on a blue printed action, hand fit bolt gun, it's hard to beat the value.

If his was that awful, he should send it back to Ruger as something is out of spec. If he is just use to 1/4 MOA all the time, and the RPR is a .5-.6 rifle, I would t say you would not be disappointed.

Hell, even if it's a 1/4 MOA rifle, I know of very few shooters capable of shooting one that accurate, myself included.

If the guy normally shoots a AICS or GAP bolt rifle, I could see him turning his nose up at one, especially if it's not one of those magical 1/4 MOA factory barrels, but for someone who doesn't want to dump $4,500 on a blue printed action, hand fit bolt gun, it's hard to beat the value.

If his was that awful, he should send it back to Ruger as something is out of spec. If he is just use to 1/4 MOA all the time, and the RPR is a .5-.6 rifle, I would t say you would not be disappointed.

Hell, even if it's a 1/4 MOA rifle, I know of very few shooters capable of shooting one that accurate, myself included.

Still kicking it around.... ;)
Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom