• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Precision Tactical rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

I have an early Gen 1 6.5 Creedmoor that is one of the unicorn 1/4-1/3 moa rifles. It will only shoot that well with a big heavy suppressor hanging off the front of it i.e. Silencerco Specwar. Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome shooter and I have been praising it for a good while now. However if you are at all handy and don't need a factory assembled rifle, there are some way better options...
Put this...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...1000004563/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380?WTz_st%3
into this...
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-fs-mcree-chassis.1376479/
It will smoke a Ruger Precision and the ergos are far superior. Shoot out the barrel and the savage barrel is super easy to replace with minimal inexpensive tools.

I have an early Gen 1 6.5 Creedmoor that is one of the unicorn 1/4-1/3 moa rifles. It will only shoot that well with a big heavy suppressor hanging off the front of it i.e. Silencerco Specwar. Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome shooter and I have been praising it for a good while now. However if you are at all handy and don't need a factory assembled rifle, there are some way better options...
Put this...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/savage-174-arms-model-10t-sr-tactical-bolt-action-rifle-with-threaded-barrel/2464333.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles/savage-arms/_/N-1114860+1000004563/Ne-1000004563/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380?WTz_st%3
into this...
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-fs-mcree-chassis.1376479/
It will smoke a Ruger Precision and the ergos are far superior. Shoot out the barrel and the savage barrel is super easy to replace with minimal inexpensive tools.

But the receiver will always say "Savage" on it......LOL

My last build was a cheap savage action with a timney trigger and a 26" Shilen select match 260rem barrel in a Mcree g7 chassis.
During barrel break in with an untested "best guestimate" load shooting 140eld's it put 5 shots in 15mm at the 300y line at CMP.
That equates to .195 MOA!
So what is wrong with that Savage receiver?

My last build was a cheap savage action with a timney trigger and a 26" Shilen select match 260rem barrel in a Mcree g7 chassis.
During barrel break in with an untested "best guestimate" load shooting 140eld's it put 5 shots in 15mm at the 300y line at CMP.
That equates to .195 MOA!
So what is wrong with that Savage receiver?

It says "Savage" down the side of it........

Just bustin' her chops. Tell me you drive a Ford and I'll rag on it, too! LOL

As far as 6.5cm goes compared to the more popular 308, it's ballistically superior. A quick Google search will yield quite a few articles about the great performance of 6.5cm vs 308.

For me, given that 6.5/308 share about the same cost for factory ammo and reloads, I would rather have the reduced recoil and improved ballistics of 6.5, hence why I ordered mine in 6.5. I have a 308 barrel for my RPR, but, with my accuracy results, I see zero reason to swap it at this point unless it's for a better 6.5cm barrel.
That's why I was looking at the 6.5. I read that it's far, far better BC's than the 308. From what I gathered it shot flatter, more energy down range and better groups at range. I think I saw something like almost 3,000 fps. That's hauling balls for a 140 gr. projectile.

I already have a super accurate AR10 in 308 I built and really like that gun but I want a tactical bolt gun to run. I want to put a real nice mongo scope on it and run it at the 600 yard range at River Bend Gun Club. I had been lusting after the Savage tac rifle in 338 lapua but they don't allow super guns out there. So that put the kibosh on that selection and then I saw the Ruger and I gravitated towards that one.

From what I am hearing from you guys I think it's worth a try. If it doesn't live up to my expectations I will just send it back to Ruger and tell them to get it right. All I have to do is finish this current build and I am on it.

I have a Gen 2 in 6.5cm. Solid rifle for a good price.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...ccuracy-results-and-overall-comments.1330719/

Here is my last 600 yard target at the CMP with it.

13aa4a71f838bcd7ac85d69e3b4a612f.jpg

fd60d48c28f75d48137701a501eef2d6.jpg

Still working up loads for it, but mine currently likes the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELd-X best. I have another 80 reloads ready to test next time I hit the range. Hoping to improve on the .85 MOA at 600.

For me, the RPR is in a configuration I personally like better than the BA Stealth (Savage).
That's impressive at 600 yards. That looks very nice at that range. Hand loads should improve that. Impressive, just plain impressive. Great shooting!

That's why I was looking at the 6.5. I read that it's far, far better BC's than the 308. From what I gathered it shot flatter, more energy down range and better groups at range. I think I saw something like almost 3,000 fps. That's hauling balls for a 140 gr. projectile.

I already have a super accurate AR10 in 308 I built and really like that gun but I want a tactical bolt gun to run. I want to put a real nice mongo scope on it and run it at the 600 yard range at River Bend Gun Club. I had been lusting after the Savage tac rifle in 338 lapua but they don't allow super guns out there. So that put the kibosh on that selection and then I saw the Ruger and I gravitated towards that one.

From what I am hearing from you guys I think it's worth a try. If it doesn't live up to my expectations I will just send it back to Ruger and tell them to get it right. All I have to do is finish this current build and I am on it.

greg vess greg vess - Greg, we do allow super guns at River Bend. If you are a River Bend member you can be certified to shoot that .338 Lapua or even a .50 BMG on 3 ranges there, MP1 (200), MP2 (100) and High Power (600). If you are a member and wish to get certified PM me.

Back
Top Bottom