• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger SP101 22lr casing removal

ECJ62

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
My Dad got a SP101 22lr for Christmas. He has problems ejecting the spent casings. I can do it by putting the grip against the bench and using my thumb. He is 89yrs old and struggles to get the cases out. He oiled up the cylinder holes good after the first outing, but didn't really help much.
Is this a 22lr thing? Is there something else he could do?
Thanks

Before any modification the first thing would be to try different ammo...:thumb:
This....and make sure he isnt trying to use shorts out of a LR gun....or LR out of a Mag gun.

The SP101 does not come with different cylinders per ea that I know of....like the single six, blackhawk/bearcat type SA revolvers.

I would Just make sure ammo matches the gun and try different brands before you do any "polishing" ' etc.,

Don't go polishing anything yet! Use hoppes on a q-tip, ( to clean)do not lube the cylinders. It's probably gummed up now. Fire the gun , open the cylinder, and point to the sky while pushing on the ejector rod. The casings will fall out.

He shot mini mags, Winchester super x and federal bulk pack. They all were hard to eject. Ejector rod moves freely until the bullets are shot

Don't lube the chambers! Like the man said above, they're probably gummed up now.

Buy a .22 cylinder brush. They're slightly bigger than a bore brush. Scrub it out good and dry well.

Honing or polishing a cylinder out is a good idea, but I don't recommend doing it if you don't know what you're doing. If a good cleaning doesn't work, I'd be happy to polish the chambers for you.

Clean the cylinders very, very well. Take a light and look at the walls and see if there are any imperfections. If so you have the choice of sending it back to Ruger or having a good gunsmith with the right setup to hone the chambers out to SAMMI specs.

If you don't see any imperfections, there's still a chance the cylinders are a bit tight. Your choices are the same as above.

.22's are dirty cartridges by there very nature. Every .22 revolver I have will eventually get a bit hard to extract without a periodic cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom