• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger SR1911 10mm

manki77

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
80   0
Reaction score
Looking for any reviews on this gun, read the articles and watched the vids online, just seeing if anyone on here has any experience with these.

Also to the people that do own these, is there any replacement sights for the front sight?

My main purpose of this gun: will not be a concealed carry gun, mainly range use and carried on the farm in south GA

Please let me know your thoughts

Buy it. I have one and it has never malfunctioned. I like the sights so I have not looked at changing mine. I did order a set of wood grips. The manual did not say when the springs should be changed so after 1000 rounds i called ruger and ask. customer service said unless you are getting malfunctions no need to change. Said they tested over 10,000 rounds on multiple guns and did not have any spring issues. And Ruger stands behind their products.

Buy it. I have one and it has never malfunctioned. I like the sights so I have not looked at changing mine. I did order a set of wood grips. The manual did not say when the springs should be changed so after 1000 rounds i called ruger and ask. customer service said unless you are getting malfunctions no need to change. Said they tested over 10,000 rounds on multiple guns and did not have any spring issues. And Ruger stands behind their products.

Was also looking at the Kimber TLE II in 10mm as a comparison, if any one has any thoughts on that model

Was also looking at the Kimber TLE II in 10mm as a comparison, if any one has any thoughts on that model

Let me tell you my Kimber horrror story. Long story short, ultra tact 2, framed cracked, first they wanted me to pay for a new frame, then once we got past that it took 6 months and the wrong firearm returned once to get a new frame, their customer service sucks, the whole time this is going on they would not return my calls or answer emails. I will not buy another kimber bc of their poor customer service. My experience isn't unique, Check out their cs reviews on line.

I would Colt delta Elite before the Kimber. The Ruger sellls for 751 at Buds gun shop .I looked at the Ruger and something struck me wrong with it. I can't place the feeling I got from it but it didn't feel solid but that could have been me. I own a S&W E Series and I guess the feel was different than the Smith so that was probably it. I went with the Remington R1 Hunter ( 6 inch long slide 10mm ).It has a similar feel as the S&W. I was in the market for a long slide and it felt more of what I was use to. I love mine now that i have made improvements on it however, I paid a little over a grand and got about 500 doilars worth of Wilson Combat upgrade parts. I have three 1911's a S&W, a Springfield and a Remy and all three have the same feel and the Ruger is a little different than those but from what I hear everyone that owns one loves them.

Attachments

• 20180406_163433.jpg
    20180406_163433.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 18
Let me tell you my Kimber horrror story. Long story short, ultra tact 2, framed cracked, first they wanted me to pay for a new frame, then once we got past that it took 6 months and the wrong firearm returned once to get a new frame, their customer service sucks, the whole time this is going on they would not return my calls or answer emails. I will not buy another kimber bc of their poor customer service. My experience isn't unique, Check out their cs reviews on line.

Thanks for the info, def don't need to support a company that doesn't back up its product

Easily my favorite 10mm. I liked it so much I dumped my Glock 20, and will probably do the same for my Glock 40 MOS soon.

It looks like the regular 45 ACP SR-1911 until you notice there's no barrel bushing, and that it's a lot heavier. Ruger used a bull-barrel design and the lockup and accuracy with it is phenomenal. They just released the 9mm 'Target' version with this setup, and that's going to be my next purchase. They give you adjustable sight because 10mm loadings are all over the map, so you will be re-zeroing a bit if you change up loads.

What really surprised me was how soft shooting it was for a steel 10mm. Much more comfortable to shoot with hot 10mm like Underwood than either of my Glocks are. Put 'normal' 10mm in it and it's no more recoil than a 45.

Fit and finish is good, and of course you have pretty much lifetime warranty with Ruger. I've got maybe 1000 rounds through mine now, and while the first 100 had some malfunctions, once it broke-in a little, it's been 100% reliable with all the different ammo I've tried. Price is also good, with these running about the same as the regular 45 ACP.

The full length guide rod means you have to use the little wire clip as a 'tool' to take it down. Some people think this is a problem, but any paperclip will work and I don't generally 'field strip' my guns in an actual field, so needing a tool is OK by me.

I really think Ruger makes the best 1911s for the money, and the 10mm one is a perfect example. there was definitely a break in period, but that's about the only bad thing I can say about it.

Easily my favorite 10mm. I liked it so much I dumped my Glock 20, and will probably do the same for my Glock 40 MOS soon.

It looks like the regular 45 ACP SR-1911 until you notice there's no barrel bushing, and that it's a lot heavier. Ruger used a bull-barrel design and the lockup and accuracy with it is phenomenal. They just released the 9mm 'Target' version with this setup, and that's going to be my next purchase. They give you adjustable sight because 10mm loadings are all over the map, so you will be re-zeroing a bit if you change up loads.

What really surprised me was how soft shooting it was for a steel 10mm. Much more comfortable to shoot with hot 10mm like Underwood than either of my Glocks are. Put 'normal' 10mm in it and it's no more recoil than a 45.

Fit and finish is good, and of course you have pretty much lifetime warranty with Ruger. I've got maybe 1000 rounds through mine now, and while the first 100 had some malfunctions, once it broke-in a little, it's been 100% reliable with all the different ammo I've tried. Price is also good, with these running about the same as the regular 45 ACP.

The full length guide rod means you have to use the little wire clip as a 'tool' to take it down. Some people think this is a problem, but any paperclip will work and I don't generally 'field strip' my guns in an actual field, so needing a tool is OK by me.

I really think Ruger makes the best 1911s for the money, and the 10mm one is a perfect example. there was definitely a break in period, but that's about the only bad thing I can say about it.

Thanks for the great info! All i have seen is high praise for these pistols.
The only thing I am considering changing is the front sight post - still trying to find who makes an appropriate model for the sr1911

Thanks for the great info! All i have seen is high praise for these pistols.
The only thing I am considering changing is the front sight post - still trying to find who makes an appropriate model for the sr1911

Check Dawson Precision!
if they don't have one already they will make you one more than likely.
I like the SR1911 Target model in 10 MM a lot, a whole lot.
But I ended up going with another Tanfoglio Elite Match in 10 MM just a few days back.(cost was 745 plus tax.)
I already own a 38 Super and its the most accurate weapon that I own, and I own colt, Springer, Dan Wesson and several other 1911.
course now its NOT a 1911 but then it does have a 14 +1 capacity and is basically a souped up CZ.
heres the first range trip after lining the sights up from a bench/bag.

this was standing free hand.
EAA 10 MM -2.jpg

Check Dawson Precision!
if they don't have one already they will make you one more than likely.
I like the SR1911 Target model in 10 MM a lot, a whole lot.
But I ended up going with another Tanfoglio Elite Match in 10 MM just a few days back.(cost was 745 plus tax.)
I already own a 38 Super and its the most accurate weapon that I own, and I own colt, Springer, Dan Wesson and several other 1911.
course now its NOT a 1911 but then it does have a 14 +1 capacity and is basically a souped up CZ.
heres the first range trip after lining the sights up from a bench/bag.

this was standing free hand.View attachment 1627806
This is what it means when someone says" he was disemboweled ".

Back
Top Bottom