• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger SR1911

Ben Worthy

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
22   0
Reaction score
What's your thoughts on the SR1911 Commander?
Also, is there really much difference when carrying a 4.25" compared to a 5"?
Weight isn't an issue.
Concealability isn't an issue.
I just want something more comfortable. When I carry my full size 1911 iwb, it's fine but kind of uncomfortable when I'm driving or sitting in general.
Would I notice the difference with the .75" cut off?

What's your thoughts on the SR1911 Commander?
Also, is there really much difference when carrying a 4.25" compared to a 5"?
Weight isn't an issue.
Concealability isn't an issue.
I just want something more comfortable. When I carry my full size 1911 iwb, it's fine but kind of uncomfortable when I'm driving or sitting in general.
Would I notice the difference with the .75" cut off?
I have the SR1911 Commander and a government model and you arent going to notice it all while carrying it.
If the Government model isnt that comfortable, the commander will feel the same.

I have the SR1911 Commander and a government model and you arent going to notice it all while carrying it.
If the Government model isnt that comfortable, the commander will feel the same.
I'm not sure if a full size 1911 just isn't comfortable for me to carry, or if it's because I just switched to it and I'm used to carrying a glock 19.

I'm not sure if a full size 1911 just isn't comfortable for me to carry, or if it's because I just switched to it and I'm used to carrying a glock 19.
I love the 1911, I shoot them better than any gun I have ever shot. Mine have never give a problem but the only time I can carry one is in the colder months as my fat ass doesnt conceal one well with just t shirts.
There is hardly any difference in weight in the two. They both feel the same while carrying them.

The will both sit in a holster the same. The frame is the same as the government models.
Now I do want a compact model from Sig. They have some really nice models that are "officer" size or a tad bit smaller.

I love the 1911, I shoot them better than any gun I have ever shot. Mine have never give a problem but the only time I can carry one is in the colder months as my fat ass doesnt conceal one well with just t shirts.
There is hardly any difference in weight in the two. They both feel the same while carrying them.
I wear jeans and tshirts year round. I really like Carhartt shirts when carrying, they're long so it conceals better. With a good undershirt like the Hanes Xtemp, it's really comfortable.
I'm really not worried about weight. Obviously any 1911 is going to weigh more than my glock, but it doesn't bother me.
What I'm trying to figure out is if when sitting, is the commander more comfortable? When I carry the full size it can feel odd, I have to sit a certain way otherwise I'm sitting on the slide which isn't comfortable. Would the slightly shorter slide eliminate that, or would it just be a tad better?
I haven't been carrying long but I've found alien gear iwb with their belt to be my favorite.

Its a tad better when it comes to how long the barrel is and where is tends to rub the side of my thigh.
I dont mind any of those issues though. Mine is just where the grip is so square and I have a hard time not printing.
Ive thought about getting me a Sig Nightmare Bobtail or having mine bobtailed.

Its a tad better when it comes to how long the barrel is and where is tends to rub the side of my thigh.
I dont mind any of those issues though. Mine is just where the grip is so square and I have a hard time not printing.
Ive thought about getting me a Sig Nightmare Bobtail or having mine bobtailed.
I think I'll go ahead and get a commander if it's just a little better. I just have to get used to it.

to me there really isn't much difference.
the grip/ mag is the same length and that's what is normally the hardest to conceal if that's an issue.
weight savings is about like removing 3-4 rounds from your Government 1911.
Now when you move to a Officer model or defender , now you notice a difference, especially IF its an alloy frame.
I 99% of the time now carry a CZ P-01 but when I do feel like toting a 1911 its normally my Alloy framed officers model. nice flat, light weight, compact weapon.
IF I remember that ones like 23 ounces with an empty mag.
about half the weight of a Government steel frame and a lot shorter as well.

I usually carry a full size 1911 so I am comfortable with it already but I carried my wife's Pro Carry 4in 1911 last week. I wanted to see how it felt and it was a bigger difference than I anticipated the shorter barrel length made driving and sitting more comfortable. I use a Galco Triton and 1 3/4 Nylon Galco Gunbelt .

Back
Top Bottom