• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Wrangler Cylinder Timing

Defuzilier

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
30   0
Reaction score
I bought a wrangler because they are dirt cheap and I like .22s. I finally decided to take it out for a day on the range after it sitting in the safe for a few months.
The first few rounds seem to go fine. It really isn't grouping, but I was shooting Remington thunderbolt so there isn't much to expect there.
After stepping back to around 25y and shooting supported the groups opened up to 1-2 feet with no consistency in the misses. I am majorly disappointed at this point.

Fast forward to getting home and there is a ton of lead splashed right above the forcing cone and there is even lead built up in the forcing cone. I clean it and start working the hammer and notice that the hammer catches before the cylinder locks. A quick peek down the bore and it is significantly misaligned. A deliberate pull of the hammer and its fine, but my natural cocking speed induces the malfunction.

Can anybody think of what might be causing this issue? This is my first and probably only revolver. It's not valuable enough to me to go through all the trouble of paying and sending it back to Ruger for repair, but I would like it fixed if I can do it cheaply myself.

TLDR: Hammer is catching before the cylinder locks

If it's under warranty I'd send it back they should pay shipping. If not change your Hammer cooking style !

Yep. Ruger will send a label, or at least the used to. Shouldn’t cost you anything except a FFL transfer if they require you to have it sent back to a FFL.

It used to be if you sent a gun back to the manufacturer they could deliver it direct back to you. Not sure if that's still the case.

It will not cost you a dime if there is a Ruger problem . I can make both of my Wranglers fail the same way by inching the hammer back. No problem if properly cocked. Tech at Ruger is gonna tell you the same thing. Change your habit or sell it.

It used to be if you sent a gun back to the manufacturer they could deliver it direct back to you. Not sure if that's still the case.

Technically speaking it is the same way, but some manufacturers (I'm looking at you S&W) required it to be sent to a FFL or at least they did several years ago when I sent one back. Not sure about Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom