• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Russians need to lay off the vodka, reloading edition

TheAreopagite

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
28   0
Reaction score
I was decapping some 9mm range brass last night, and noticed something a little shocking. Looked inside, and the case actually steps down to a much smaller ID below the projectile. The headstamp is "Maxxtech 9mm Luger," which is apparently a kind of brass ammo produced by Tula. I'm guessing they did it to prevent the projectile set-back, or to cheap out by using less powder since reduced case volume will result in higher pressures.

In any case, let these guys slip through and you're going to have a very-bad, over-pressure-resulting-in-explosion kind of day. Russians need to lay of the vodka, and maybe stick with steel cases.

IMG_7314.JPG
IMG_7313.JPG
IMG_7318.JPG

Not to mention possible headspace issues trying to seat a different bullet. Glad you caught it and shared it. May have saved someone from a serious accident.

I have some range pickups with a step like that. The primers are crimped and don't always decap in my LnL. I scrap them but it's a pain when I find them.

Not sure if it has been posted here or not but I have seen several post on this.
lots of speculation but no one seems to really know why they do this.
All my brass gets checked several times before its reloaded so not a problem for me but you have to be aware of whats going on in reloading or an OPPS can happen.

Back
Top Bottom