• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rust bluing...anyone doing it?

Tusker6N

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this process as I can do it in the garage and get good results. I've watched a bunch of videos and seen guys using Brownells products and some using a home brew.

Anyone have experience with rust bluing?
Any recommendations or tips?

I'm planning on bluing the heat shield on a shotgun.

Have a deer rifle being done now by a smith in Mid Ga. Read a little but decided to let a pro do the work. Will let you know when I pick it up what I think.

I'd recommend mark lee Express blue #1 to you. Much more straight forward method of rust bluing.. does not require a moisture box. Basically heat the part to 200 degrees and then boil in water. Simple straight forward instructions and works well.

Brownells carries it

I'd recommend mark lee Express blue #1 to you. Much more straight forward method of rust bluing.. does not require a moisture box. Basically heat the part to 200 degrees and then boil in water. Simple straight forward instructions and works well.

Brownells carries it
Thanks

20191212_131011.jpg
20181214_123507.jpg
20191020_174219.jpg
20191020_215700.jpg
I'm very interested in this process as I can do it in the garage and get good results. I've watched a bunch of videos and seen guys using Brownells products and some using a home brew.

Anyone have experience with rust bluing?
Any recommendations or tips?

I'm planning on bluing the heat shield on a shotgun.
Heck yes do it yourself that's the perfect item to start on....
An old-timer on here was kind enough to share his methods with me.
And I've been thrilled with the results for my own use...
You've got to learn patience, timing, and proper preparation...
There's a million ways to do a heat shield and rust bluing may not be the best recommendation, but go ahead and do it! There is nothing as satisfying as doing it yourself

Back
Top Bottom