• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RUST!

FantomKnight

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
I've inherited my grand-daddy's .38 Colt police positive revolver that was made in 1933. Unfortunately, he wasn't very good at maintaining it. As you can see from the pics, it has significant rust. What's the best way to get this thing looking half way decent again? I'm not looking to make it look like new. I would like to try to get the rust off without having to completely blue the gun again. Or is this thing beyond hope altogether?

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Use some fine steel wool pads (00 or 000) from the hardware store and some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil from the auto parts store. Tear off a small chunk of the steel wool, soak it with the oil, and rub the rust off. The 00 and 000 grades are soft enough that they won't scratch the bluing. The oil will penetrate and dissolve the rust. Rub awhile, wipe with a rag, check your progress, repeat as necessary. I've seen this work wonders on lots of old guns.

Use some fine steel wool pads (00 or 000) from the hardware store and some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil from the auto parts store. Tear off a small chunk of the steel wool, soak it with the oil, and rub the rust off. The 00 and 000 grades are soft enough that they won't scratch the bluing. The oil will penetrate and dissolve the rust. Rub awhile, wipe with a rag, check your progress, repeat as necessary. I've seen this work wonders on lots of old guns.

This, except I use 0000 steel wool and oil. I would be OK with the patina on a pistol like this. Just get the rust off.

The exterior of the gun is definitely fixable. The real challenge is if the barrel is pitted or the internals are rusting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Wild Bill is spot on. While my old hand-me-down Colt wasn't as old as yours, it also had some problem areas. The steel wool and penetrating oil removed most of the surface rust. I oil it often and keep it wrapped in a silicone gun sock.

I use a stainless steel chore boy pot scrubber just like Ken Lundquist the old gunsmith in Tucker showed me many years ago.
I know it seems like it would be harsh but it's exactly the right product for the job.
The fine steel wool will work but will also fall apart and leave little bits of itself everywhere.
Little bits of steel wool will deposit themselves into every nook and cranny if not completely cleaned off and will actually promote rust if every speck is not removed.
Here's a super early 1890 Winchester I did with a stainless chore boy pot scrubber and penetrating oil. It took off all the rust and left the lettering and the patina perfectly intact. This rifle had been left on a back porch with a leaky roof for several years before it was rescued and was in terrible condition.

Back
Top Bottom