• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RUST!

The 0000 steel wool and lubricant is a great way on certain places. I also use the copper penny method on certain places. It has to be penny minted 1982 and earlier. Search some of the videos on rust removal with a penny. I always keep a solid copper penny with my gun cleaning products in the shop. It works great for me.

Electrolysis rust removal. Simple ,fast, and easy. Most complicated piece of machinery you'll need is a battery charger. Will remove the rust internally and externally and won't affect the bluing. Many youtube videos about it.
Need more info, just pm me

Get a Chore Boy stainless steel pad at the local hardware store, some light gun oil, and some time. Detail strip the gun and put oil on it and start rubbing with the Chore Boy. Wipe it down every so often to remove the red rusty oil on it. You will get most of the rust off fast and can go back over the gun several times and not ruin the finish. I just did a 71 Marlin 336 with a lot worse finish and it looks like a different gun now.

Y'all should try using 0000 steel wool with absolutely no oil, dry as a bone. Works a lot better. Never let your steel wool build up with rust, just keep using a fresh clean section of steel wool as dry as a bone and you'll cut through the rust a whole lot faster. You're trying to remove the rust through and abrasive process, oil is counter productive to that and serves no purpose.

Y'all should try using 0000 steel wool with absolutely no oil, dry as a bone. Works a lot better. Never let your steel wool build up with rust, just keep using a fresh clean section of steel wool as dry as a bone and you'll cut through the rust a whole lot faster. You're trying to remove the rust through and abrasive process, oil is counter productive to that and serves no purpose.

I agree, to a point. If you are using Kroil or an aggressive type of penetrating oil it will "soften" rust. Plain steel wool will cut rust, but in my experience it always works better with Kroil.

Back
Top Bottom