• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rusty 75 gallon rv fuel tank... How to clean??

I have done this several times. It is always cheaper to get a new tank. To coat a 5 gal tank, the sealer and cleaner is about a hundred bucks. If you do not get it absolutely clean, you will get corrosion under the sealer, and it will flake off along with rust particles.

If you want to get it running first, get a 10 0r 20 gal plastic boat tank. Zero rust issues.

Rust will absolutely screw up a carbed motor, worse on a fuel injected motor. You can't carry enough filters to replace them as they plug up.

I've got the tank out and most of the old fuel out now. A new tank is between$500 And $1100. I'd like to avoid that kind of expense at least untill I know the coach is worth resurecting.

Any one know if a local shop that does tank cleaning and restoration?
I’ve always taken mine to a radiator shop to have them cleaned and lined. You can do it yourself, but for $100 or so I’d rather let a pro handle it. Last one I did went to sims radiator in Conyers. The materials to do it yourself will cost almost as much.

I’ve always taken mine to a radiator shop to have them cleaned and lined. You can do it yourself, but for $100 or so I’d rather let a pro handle it. Last one I did went to sims radiator in Conyers. The materials to do it yourself will cost almost as much.

With the cheap Chinese radiators on the market now, many of the old radiator guys have quit or retired. Used to be 2 shops in every small town with a bus stop. Not many left now.

With the cheap Chinese radiators on the market now, many of the old radiator guys have quit or retired. Used to be 2 shops in every small town with a bus stop. Not many left now.

I remember seeing a radiator shop before but I can't remember where. Now it's just throw it out and buy a new one.

Just replace it. Not worth the hassle of repairing it, or the problems you WILL have later after it's installed and full of fuel 200 miles from nowhere.........

Or........
Option 2) Cut it open (think baked potato kinda cut), have it blasted, and weld it back together.
Option 3) Cut a panel out of the TOP side for access to blast, then weld it back together.

Back
Top Bottom