• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rusty gas tank

patriot15joe

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
10   0
Reaction score
Pulled my generator out a few months ago to find the cap had rusted and a good big of rust had accumulated in the bottom of the tank. I have watched a few videos on getting the rust out but this particular tank presents a problem. There is a 1.5” neck where the can screws down.

I wanted to put rocks in it and shake it to get any rust loose, but with that neck on it, I won’t be able to get the rocks or the rust out. This neck also makes it impossible to get all of the liquid and rust out by pouring.

Easy fix is $75.00 new tank. But I had a thought of drilling a 1” or so hole in the back bottom of the tank after shaking those rocks around a good bit and rinsing the rocks and rust out through that hole. Then patching the hole with epoxy putty.

Anyone have thoughts on this working? Or should I accept defeat anb but a new tank?

Don't now if this helps but I frequent the Model T forum. There are tons of information on cleaning out Model T tanks with an aggregate or evap-o-rust. One guy said :

"I have used Lacquer thinner on several gas tanks with good results. Leave it in the tank for several days and shake the tank several times a day before emptying. After the tank is dry I then use Phosphoric acid to remove any rust which leaves a coating inside the tank."

Uncertain if epoxy is the way to go. Haven't run across any epoxy repair success stories.

Fill it with white vinegar and let it sit for 24 hours up to 5 days (don't cap it), give it a good shake at the end (cap on obviously), dump it out and give it a wash and either throw it in the oven at the lowest setting or air dry it.

And I know this may seem counter intuitive but you can add salt to the vinegar to aid in the process.

Should be able to vacuum (or apply vaccine) to remove liquid and associated rust - shop vac or similar.

Sent from my BV4900Pro using Tapatalk

Do what Mule Shoe says. I have installed fuel tanks for gas stations and emergency generators for a little over 45 years. Do not use a vacuum to suck out a gas tank!!! You run a very real risk of causing an explosion doing this.

I was able to pop the vent on top of the tank out which opened about a 1” hole. Put a bunch of gravel rocks and shook the hell out of it for 15 or so minutes with half a bottle of marvel mystery oil. Rinsed with fresh gas 6-7 times and was able to get almost two handfuls of rust out. Also took off all the gas lines and filter and flushed it all out.

From what I can see, it looks like all the rust was coming from the gas cap and the chain that attached the cap to the tank. Cut the chain off and wire brushed the cap.

Back
Top Bottom