• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RV Generator question

Freshly Minted Georgian!

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
304   0
Reaction score
I have an RV I picked up in December. It was neglected but I've gotten most of the repairs done and it's running great. The generator in it though, super hard to start and tends to die after a few minutes. Anybody know of a repair shop around Athens that can take a look at it and get it back in fighting shape so that I can actually rely on it? It's an Onan.

I changed the oil and filter, plus the fuel filter already.

I don't know anyone though.

If it sat with fuel in it pull the carb and do a good cleaning on it. There are lots of little ports that gum up in them.

Did you drain the fuel tank and clean it out? Then clean the carb and the bowl. Run some seafoam through it, I would also replace the fuel line if it is rubber hose.

I've not attempted to clean the carb. I'm lazy about carbs, they are SO cheap to replace I usually just buy a new one. I'll look into that. As for draining the fuel tank it feeds off the main RV fuel tank. We drove it from GA to CA and back in December/January, fuel has been changed out many times. Lines and carb could be dirty though. I'll try that next.

The alcohol in the fuel really messes up a carb. Used to only deal with gum and varnish before the alcohol became standard.

Alcohol causes corrosion and a hard layer of scale to form in passages, jets and needles. Solvents that we used on gum and varnish will not remove this corrosion.

Disassemble the carb and soak anything with the green scale in acid. White vinegar will work, but it is a little slow.

Once clean reassemble with a zip kit and it should be fine

If paying someone to do it, a new carb is cheaper.

I have an RV I picked up in December. It was neglected but I've gotten most of the repairs done and it's running great. The generator in it though, super hard to start and tends to die after a few minutes. Anybody know of a repair shop around Athens that can take a look at it and get it back in fighting shape so that I can actually rely on it? It's an Onan.

I changed the oil and filter, plus the fuel filter already.
Probably need the carb rebuilt or replaced.
Carbs are cheap and easy to replace, so I rarely rebuild anymore.

Check how much fuel you have in the tank. My RV generator won't run unless there's more than a 1/2 tank. Otherwise it does what you're describing, runs for a few seconds and dies.

Naw, I've tried in many times with varying levels of fuel in the tank. Also had the fuel pump replaced (for other reasons). When I can get it to start it'll run for maybe 10 minutes, then die.

You are right, the line in the fuel tank that runs to the generator only goes down to around half a tank. That's so you don't burn all your gas accidentally with the generator and get stranded. It's not that, it's something in the generator itself.

Back
Top Bottom