• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W Revolver Timing Issue

Have you measured your hand thickness? A micrometer should help pinpoint the problem.

I haven't found the specs on what it is supposed to be. So, measuring it seemed to be an effort in futility! I will say that I find what I have to be strangely shaped: the face is more triangular than square, but there is so little that I found that shows what it is supposed to be!

As an aside: I ordered an S&W Compression Spring Bit from Wheeler Industries for $5.99 Shipped.
The part number is 706-434. Midway no longer stocks them, but the bit appears to have gotten good reviews.
This would appear to be a "must have" for anyone owning an S&W Revolver.

Another helpful link (I have a watch repair kit that has a suitable tool for compressing the "Hand" spring):

I also didn't know revolvers needed more than just a brush run through the bore and a wipe down until I picked up a used Dan Wesson 15-2 really cheap at a gun show because it, as the seller described it, 'had problems'.
Took off the side plate and it looked like it was packed full of axle grease...
Cleaned it up and it worked fine.

Yup, lots of folks seem to like squirting oil into the various 'holes' a revolvers, and never cleaning out the petrified gunk that builds up there. I bought a 'broken' 686+ on here a few years back for a pretty decent price, figuring I might have to send it in to Smith.

Took the side plate off and it looked like the La Brea Tar Pits in there. A few minutes with a brush and some gun scrubber spray and it was working like a champ though.

Yup, lots of folks seem to like squirting oil into the various 'holes' a revolvers, and never cleaning out the petrified gunk that builds up there. I bought a 'broken' 686+ on here a few years back for a pretty decent price, figuring I might have to send it in to Smith.

Took the side plate off and it looked like the La Brea Tar Pits in there. A few minutes with a brush and some gun scrubber spray and it was working like a champ though.

Recommended for "Maintenance Work". Hornady has a spray that is most appropriate to trigger-works and cleaning up reloading die "factory grease". It is perfect for cleaning out gunk but also leaves an almost dry film of lubricant. Seems to work like brake cleaner, but leaving a nice light coat of lubricant. Obviously, heavy/baked-on/decades-long buildup will need more attention than this spray can offer!

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-9990-Cleaner-DynaGlide-Aerosol/dp/B000LC9YM2

Well, the "Scrub" and "Lube" actually worked!!! The dang thing is "dead-on" SA/DA.
A big "Thank You" for all of the sage advice. I love them old Smith wheelies and now have much better appreciation for what it takes to care for them.

Awesome! I love it when a plan comes together....(Hannibal)

Another note...WD-40 is not good for guns. It will turn carbon/lead/powder fouling into tar then on to concrete. It will also "varnish" up on a gun and become a sticky mess. Not implying you used it, but I have seen more guns than I care to that have fallen victim to WD-40.

You can take your rebounding block out and stone the left side and bottom (left side if you're looking down the rebounding spring hole) to slick it up. No Dremmel and no india stone. Real slick Arkansas stone and a bit of oil and just lap it back and forth a few times. It will make a difference. The rebounding block spring should be 17 coils. In the past the trick was to knock it down to 15 and you'll be good. I prefer full strength (17) to ensure a robust trigger reset.

You got a workhorse of a revolver that will give a lifetime of excellent service.

10-4 on the WD-40 ...

I inherited this particular firearm after (apparent) years of ignorant use.
I wish I could say abuse, but ignorance is the best description as it is pretty much being employed to this very day! Everyone knows that changing your oil in your car is the best bet for nearly eternal function, but few understand that maintenance is key to the life of all devices!

God, I love those wheel guns!
They are American History ... Don't let the"tribal knowledge" evaporate into history

ATF duplicates whale oil, which is generally consider the "finest" oil there is - used to be the standard for lubricating watches when watches needed lubrication.

Point is, it is an inexpensive lubricant for any fine parts, and does not leave a residue.

Lots of people don't realize that until the 1950's ATF was whale oil.

Back
Top Bottom