• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W's Hillary Hole

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
I understand the origin of the Hillary Hole. It was started at a time when the Dems ruled the roost and wanted to, and thought they could, bankrupt gun manufacturers with frivolous lawsuits. S&W's owners at the time did the Hillary Hole as a measure to help prevent litigation. I know and anyone with at least one functioning brain cell knows that the Hillary Hole is totally useless. Tell me, have you ever used that lock on a single revolver???

I know of no one who likes the Hillary Hole. Some of the newbies might be indifferent to it. But it seems to me, if S&W wanted to dramatically increase their revolver sales they would start offering model with and without the Hillary Hole or even get rid of the HH all together. They could just include a locking cable to go through the cylinder to be used to prevent the guns use.

I know S&W knows all of this. So why don't they get rid of the HH?? Are they selling as many revolvers as they care to sell? Are they still so scared of a frivolous lawsuit that they are willing to chug along at reduced sales?

One more part of this rant - I prefer to call it a side note. The engineer who designed the Hillary Hole should be shot! Of course I do not mean that literally. But really, can you think of a worst design???? Look at Ruger or even Taurus. Are their engineers so superior to the S&W's team of the time? Or maybe I have it all wrong. I can see one scenario where the engineer is against the idea, so he designs one that is soooo hideous, soooo awful, that he knows no revolver lover or S&W lover would/could ever and I mean ever go for. He presents his design to the powers to be, and those bean counters and lawyers don't even recognize the calamity. The engineer had drastically over estimated his audience. They did what he thought was impossible. The went for it! No one was in greater shock than the Hillary Hole designer. That night he left work and knocked out a bottle of Jack Daniels while contemplating the tragedy.

While I detest the "lock" on S&W firearms, in May, 2001, S&W was purchased by Saf-T-Hammer Corp. When this Scottsdale, Arizona-based firearm safety and security company purchased S&W, which became S&W Holding Company, they stated that they will be incorporating "their" design and safety features into S&W revolvers. Saf-T-Hammer Corp is NOT a lock making company. They do not make locks per say, they are a firearm safety company that designed a locking system for revolvers. They put their design into the S&W revolvers, and do not appear to be backing up from their decision or their design.
As I stated, I detest the "lock" as most S&W revolver purists do. It is a hideous design, completely ruins the smooth look of the revolver. However, 16 years have passed, and the "lock" remains firmly in place on most S&W new revolvers. I don't see the "lock" being phased out on new S&W revolvers.
We can rant about the "lock" all we want, and believe me, there have been rants to S&W about the "lock", but they do not appear to be changing anything.

I wonder just how many sales S&W is losing because of it...I'm not so sure about that. Their J frames sail like crazy. Heck I carry one myself. I will always prefer a pre lock, and I too detest the hole, but I have owned more than one Smiff with the hole and will probably own more.

It isn't just the hole, either. I wish S&W would go back to their beautiful finishes on all their revolvers. No one, and I mean no one could blue a gun like they could. Nickel too. Nowadays the plain matte finishes are just boring. Most of their new guns still look nice but they don't compare to their classics.

My brother picked up a blue 10-5 snub this past weekend and that revolver looks 100x better than my 638-3, and not only because of the hideous hole. It feels better and shoots better too, but that's another subject, entirely.

I wish S&W would do away with the lock
AND mim parts
AND stop all the CNC nonsense
AND go back to hand fitting every part
AND hand fitting and numbering stocks

Then I could wish I could own one of these new "old stock" revolvers. But of course I wouldn't be able to afford one.

They do offer several models without the lock now. Not enough but it's something.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/search/node/No internal lock
And many of the older revolvers in very fine shape (that lack the lock and many of the other features we dislike) are out there to be had for less than the price of a new revolver with an internal lock. Just this morning I saw a fine 629-1 listed here for $775. Try buying a new S&W N frame 44 magnum for that out the door!

I own one S&W revolver with the lock. A Lew Horton 25-14. But in my defense (LOL) I have always wanted a N frame big bore snub with a square butt that came from the factory that way. Alas, the only option was the special run of 44 magnum, 44 special, 45 acp Lew Horton revolvers with the lock. When I found one I bought it without reservation. I have a plug that BillsCamino BillsCamino mentioned ready to install, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Back
Top Bottom