• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safest way to buy a fairly priced Colt Python 6" barrel, bright stainless

Billbor

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
24   0
Reaction score
After working all my life I finally have enough pennies saved to afford a Colt Python, 6 inch barrel, in bright stainless. (I'm ready to pay $2500+ for the right gun.)

I have looked on Gun Broker, ArmsList, etc. and even sent a few emails in response to ads where the owner is within driving distance only to get a "sketchy" response or no response when I ask specific questions. I will not send that kind of money for something I can't see/examine, let alone know if they legit.
- I am willing to drive a reasonable distance (there and back in 1 day) to see/buy a Python in good shape.

I've never bought a "high end/collectable gun" before.
- Any suggestions on the safest way to buy the gun of my dreams?

Thanks in advance . . . .

Billbor
Smyrna, GA

There are some good gun dealers on GB that show very good pics in their ads. I would only buy from FFL Dealer with lots of transaction. The Colts seem to go up in price every day.
I had a 2 1/2" Python listed that a member drove from deep south GA to pickup and he was very happy. I had sent him lots of pics to show the condition.

Good Luck with the search.

There are some good gun dealers on GB that show very good pics in their ads. I would only buy from FFL Dealer with lots of transaction. The Colts seem to go up in price every day.
I had a 2 1/2" Python listed that a member drove from deep south GA to pickup and he was very happy. I had sent him lots of pics to show the condition.

Good Luck with the search.

You can buy with confidence on GB if someone has the right feedback. But a $2,500 price point may make a FTF with travel a good idea. ? Congratulations on earning your dream gun. Very nice.

A bright stainless 6" Python is going to run you 3500-5K.... I have one without box or paperwork that the price on it is 3500...I have a 4" nickel without box or paperwork and the price on it is 2750

Also please understand that someone may try to pass of a nickel gun as a bright stainless (only one way to know for sure that it's in fact stainless) and even if the gun is in fact stainless it is very hard to tell that colt did the polishing job and not someone down the street (takes a good eye)

Also a lot of people are taking a gun and re-finishing it to nickel and this is also very hard to catch.

Also, most of these "boxes" are reproduction boxes and not the originals

Sadly, you are currently in the market for one of the guns that is currently most counterfeited

If you send me a PM with your number I will be glad to assist you in your search, and if you find a gun I will gladly look at pictures of it in order to tell you if it is legitimate (I do this for a lot of people)

Colt made VERY FEW BSTS guns

After working all my life I finally have enough pennies saved to afford a Colt Python, 6 inch barrel, in bright stainless. (I'm ready to pay $2500+ for the right gun.)

I have looked on Gun Broker, ArmsList, etc. and even sent a few emails in response to ads where the owner is within driving distance only to get a "sketchy" response or no response when I ask specific questions. I will not send that kind of money for something I can't see/examine, let alone know if they legit.
- I am willing to drive a reasonable distance (there and back in 1 day) to see/buy a Python in good shape.

I've never bought a "high end/collectable gun" before.
- Any suggestions on the safest way to buy the gun of my dreams?

Thanks in advance . . . .

Billbor
Smyrna, GA

Sell a kidney?

A letter from Colt Archives is helpful but closely examine the Colt seal on the letter as Ive heard of counterfeit letters. Ive sold one and traded one recently and Ive owned them my entire adult life. They aren great guns.

The gun I sold went for 6500 and the new owner never handled it prior to purchase. He did examine very detailed pictures, checked my feedback here and was confortable with the transaction.

Since you are looking for a 6 inch you will not have to deal with the people who are passing off rebarreled Pythons as 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch models. A good place to research is the Colt Forum or Fugate Handguns.

Last edited:
I have a nice one (shot maybe 200 rounds), original box that I bought in 2003. I live in West Cobb. I drive through Smyrna every day.

If you give me your email, I can send you a picture now.

Lestoil

Back
Top Bottom