• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safety Harness

TROY70

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
My son is 14 and is getting a Gunslinger climber for Christmas. I want to get him a safety harness as well. What are you guys suggestions? Looking at them, I kind of like the idea of the Lineman's rope to use while climbing. I THINK I would want one that the lineman rope attaches to the vest at the waist area. Any suggestions? He's about 5'6, 150 lbs

They make great vest integrated harnesses that fit on the outside of all the other clothing. Be sure to get it big enough. The waist style is better for bow hunting because there's less risk of it impeding the movement of the bow. Gun hunting it doesn't really matter since you're sitting most of the time anyways when you shoot. They even make outerwear now with integrated fall protection, but it's pricy!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm assuming you've never taken an OSHA safety class. Anything that attaches to the waist, can cause severe injury, and even death, as they can restrict the diaphragm. There are a lot of chest-type harnesses, and even vests, with integrated fall protection.

I have the Hunter Safety Systems vest that does all of those. The fall restraint is a behind-the-back shock cord, it has a strain relief loop to step into in case you fall to relieve pressure on you and it has waist attachments for a linesman loop. I use mine for hunting and when I have to climb my 70' antenna tower. I'm very happy with it.

This isn't the exact one I have (mine is camo/orange reversible) but close enough.
https://smile.amazon.com/Hunter-Saf...513182172&sr=8-1&keywords=hss+vest&th=1&psc=1

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm assuming you've never taken an OSHA safety class. Anything that attaches to the waist, can cause severe injury, and even death, as they can restrict the diaphragm. There are a lot of chest-type harnesses, and even vests, with integrated fall protection.
No offense taken...that's why I'm asking. His safety is priceless. On the waist part though, I was referring to the climbing only. I agree with the vest/chest harness.

hunters safety system with a life line is what i always used. connected from the ground up!

fortunately never had to test it, came close once when and owl flew in, i didn't hear it and it was still pitch dark, landed on a limb about 10 feet from me and let out a "HOOT!"

Back
Top Bottom