• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Safety warning on pistols

anyone else get a little annoyed at manufactures putting "warning can fire with magazine removed" on the side of some pistols? If you didn't know to check the chamber when dealing with it then you really shouldn't be messing with it anyway. I guess it could be a reminder to some but I think that checking the chamber should be a habit and shouldn't warrent a reminder. Just really complaining about a minor cosmetic annoyance for me:juggle:
Bondo, sandpaper & paint. :becky:

Because some guns come with a magazine disconnect safety, any gun that does NOT have such a feature should probably have a warning either on it, or in the owner's manual, or both.

If there was never any such invention as a magazine disconnect, then the warning would be unnessary because we could expect that all gun owners KNOW that semi-autos will fire from a loaded chamber, regardless of what's in the magazine or if the mag is missing.

Products Liability law is all about what a jury thinks is "reasonable" and what kind of accidents are "foreseeable," and the fact that somebody else is "at fault" for the accident doesn't mean manufacturers can disregard the possibility of some stupid person using their product incorrectly and having an accident.

As the authors of the famous law hornbook "Prosser & Keeton on Torts" wroter 30+ years ago, the law of torts is always evolving and new torts are being revealed by courts based on reviewing incidents that involve people getting hurt and evaluating which people or companies are in the best position to break the chain of events leading to such accidents.

upload_2017-1-8_21-19-8.png

Chaps my bottom stupid warning labels

Because some guns come with a magazine disconnect safety, any gun that does NOT have such a feature should probably have a warning either on it, or in the owner's manual, or both.

If there was never any such invention as a magazine disconnect, then the warning would be unnessary because we could expect that all gun owners KNOW that semi-autos will fire from a loaded chamber, regardless of what's in the magazine or if the mag is missing.

Products Liability law is all about what a jury thinks is "reasonable" and what kind of accidents are "foreseeable," and the fact that somebody else is "at fault" for the accident doesn't mean manufacturers can disregard the possibility of some stupid person using their product incorrectly and having an accident.

As the authors of the famous law hornbook "Prosser & Keeton on Torts" wroter 30+ years ago, the law of torts is always evolving and new torts are being revealed by courts based on reviewing incidents that involve people getting hurt and evaluating which people or companies are in the best position to break the chain of events leading to such accidents.

I guess just as a rule of thumb for me I don't care if it has a magazine disconnect safety or not, because not all magazine fed firearms have the safety I clear the chamber because it works with all firearms. But I don't disagree with the warning being in the manual just it being on the gun is merely a small pet peeve for me.

Back
Top Bottom