• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Saiga 308 conversion

tlw1179

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
168   0
Reaction score
Going to convert a saiga 308. Would like experience input, videos and maybe a parts list you used,
Anything you used ,did or ordered from that helped you would be greatly appreciated.

Most of what I see is 12ga and 762 conversions but , seems from what I have read that 308 is easier:confused:

I used Dinzag Arms and Carolina Shooters Supply for parts. The 308 is the easiest conversion to do, and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do it. The hardest part is if you want to remove the FSB to thread the muzzle. Dinzag has good instructions here, http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/308_fsb_install.pdf

If you don't have access to a shop press, you'll have to do it manually. After removing the cross pins, I would just alternate heating it with a propane torch and banging on the FSB. Just get a block of wood, drill a a 3/8" hole, and insert a 3/8" brass punch. The FSB is a muzzle cap so just place that over the brass punch and whack the back of the FSB.

Then just follow the instructions for modding the FSB to put it back on. Or if you have access to a welder, CSS carries a front sight that you can weld to the gas tube.

From everything I've read, the trigger that comes on the sporter Saiga 308 is trash. I've only converted a 7.62x39 so don't have first hand experience. Spend some time on the various Saiga forums and get first-hand feedback. There are several options for replacement triggers that guys have used and raved about over the one that came with your rifle.

Back
Top Bottom