• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sailing long distance - what wold be a good firearm?

What would you have on a boat, going far?

• Total voters
I'd take a stainless 4-6" 357, a Mossberg Mariner, (or similar), variety of shells, and an AR with as many plastic components as possible. Corrosion will be a real enemy.

For purely tactical reasons, an AR pattern, either in 5.56 or .308. I think you want to stop them before they get into shotgun range. Keep it in an airtight container with a dessicant bag to prevent corrosion.

Politically, however, such a rifle is unlikely to be favorably received by the Coast Guard or any other nation's coastal protection force when you have to submit to a "safety inspection". Once you're within seven miles of land that nation's (and state's) laws apply. Off the coast of Massachusetts will get you busted with an AR.

I’ve done a bit of research on this, and the problem is going to be the ports you enter. In the Caribbean, you’ll have to declare the firearm, and then, depending on the country, either take it away while you are there, or seal your locker with tape to make sure it stays on board. The consequences of having the gun found if you don’t declare it can be very harsh. Choose your poison carefully... but +1 on the Just In Case Mossberg Mariner!

OP, can you be any more specific on your route? If you're going along the US coast, you'll get one answer. If you're going to the Caribbean or South America that's two more different answers..

Definitely get a quality air tight carrying case. Synthetic stocks, stainless receivers and barrels sound great and all but they just protect the cosmetics of the gun, they do nothing to protect your ejector spring, or other springs and internal components that are critical to keeping your gun running.

Whatever you use you're going to want to either clean it on a daily basis or keep it out of the elements in a air tight case. Also a quality Cerakote job from Hiland Arms will best protect the finish from corrosion :thumb:

just curious, whats your boating background?

A lot of drinking on Lanier aboard friends motor boat ))

Number of years sailing on my 27' Catalina on Lanier, which I still own. Some sailing in ICW, some sailing in Mediterranean on Bavaria 32, trip to Cuba and back this summer on Catalina 315.

Not sure why you asked, but I am thinking about buying a larger sailboat and doing more serious sailing.

OP, can you be any more specific on your route? If you're going along the US coast, you'll get one answer. If you're going to the Caribbean or South America that's two more different answers..

I am really not sure yet. Possibly along US coast, Charleston as home port. Possibly a trip to Europe, maybe Caribbean and SA. This whole idea is still at a very early planning stage.

Back
Top Bottom