• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Salavage to Rebuilt Titles Question

laserbeam1k

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
172   0
Reaction score
Hello I wasn't sure where to post this and was wondering if anyone had any information.
I was introduced to the world of Salvage vehicles. Im not a dealer or trained mechanic. I can work on cars usually only my own, as i wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone elses car.

Anyways.
Does anyone know if a private citizen who purchases and owns the salvage title of a car be able to apply for a rebuilt title without the assistance of a re-builder? For personal use not resale.

If so, if the car rolls strait, electronics work, but has a few dings such as hail. How much needs to be fixed to be considered for rebuild status? What if i was ok with the damage and wanted to drive as-is. I know if rebuilding, part receipts and pictures are needed as evidence of work.

I saw that and also this:
https://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/salvaged-vehicles.php
A copy of the rebuilder’s license, if applicable. ( Maybe we dont have thier license or maybe we didnt need them?)
I also read somewhere a licensed re-builder can only do 8 cars and year and an unlicensed person can do 2 a year.
I feel like there is more to this story its just that DOR and DMV is not letting out all the info. Id like to comb over the regulations book on this subject.

I am in this situation myself and interested if someone has first hand experience on this subject. I have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee that the insurance is deeming a total loss. It needs a rear hatch, bumper cover but it dented the plastic gas tank it does not leak and I am fine with leaving that as is. The at fault insurance offered it to me for $600. I would like to continue driving it for years to come but the titling process is more complicated than it has to be. The one local inspector is open every other tuesday and it must be towed its stated.

So this was your clear title car before the insurance deemed it a total loss? Or you bought it as a salavage title?
I think it makes a difference.
No way a running car is only $600... You should atleast get fair market value for it as a running car. You should look at other valuations for your car and try to get them to give you a larger sum.
I just called a private inspector. He said to take pictures of your car while its in salvage title. Airbags, body, everything. Then fix the parts you need, record all receipts and vin, and then have it towed for inspection. Apparently a private citizen can fix 2 cars a year according to Craig Stokes a Fulton County inspector whom iv spoken too.

No way a running car is only $600... You should atleast get fair market value for it as a running car. You should look at other valuations for your car and try to get them to give you a larger sum.

He said "The at fault insurance offered it to me for $600".

Take a lot of pictures before during and after the process. Also it will never be worth what the same car without a salvage title is figure 40-50% less. Check your insurance company, I have a friend who has a salvage title Mustang he had 2 insurance companies drop him because it is salvage titled. If it is in an accident do not expect a check like a not salvage titled car. I have a friend who owns a junkyard and sells salvage title cars. Most of the ones he sells are at the light end of damages. A lot of times airbags will push a car into salvage that would not be otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom