• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Salavage to Rebuilt Titles Question

The inspectors generally recognize that older vehicles will be totaled for damage that is strictly cosmetic and will not bust your balls about it. As long as you can show some receipts that you’ve “repaired” it, it should be easy to get back on the road. When I get some time I’ll pull a copy of an inspection report so you can see what they look for.

Ok
Thanks
If it's strictly cosmetic damage do you think it would have to be repaired to pass the inspection ?

Ok
Thanks
If it's strictly cosmetic damage do you think it would have to be repaired to pass the inspection ?
I’m not sure, but if you go to the website you’ll be able to pull a list of the inspectors and their phone numbers. I’d call and ask. You can also use any one of them, you don’t have to use the one in your county I don’t believe. Call them until one tells you something you want to hear and then use him.

It does have to be inspected and the new title may say "rebuilt " or it may not depending on how much damage there was

so an individual who is not a licensed rebuilder can complete the process?
i.e. do they repairs himself,have the vehicle inscpected and submit
the paperwork,etc.,,

salvaged/rebuilt titled vehicles are worth a good bit less on paper.
im just wondering if you still would get slammed with the tavt
tax like they value it at full retail excellent condition or if you
would have to appeal it if they did it would be a real kick in
the ***

so an individual who is not a licensed rebuilder can complete the process?
i.e. do they repairs himself,have the vehicle inscpected and submit
the paperwork,etc.,,
Yes. You can do it yourself or have a body shop do the work. You only have to be a licensed rebuilder if you are doing them for resale. Of course since you can legally sell your personal rebuild, they limit how many you can do before you are required to be licensed.

Yes. You can do it yourself or have a body shop do the work. You only have to be a licensed rebuilder if you are doing them for resale. Of course since you can legally sell your personal rebuild, they limit how many you can do before you are required to be licensed.

thats the info and what the dept of revenue's website leaves out.
i probably wouldnt buy a car from copart but a private individual
or from a wreckers auction maybe. this is good to know. thanks

An individual is allowed to build 2 (two ) salvage vehicles per year, you must have reciepts for parts used in repair ( used parts) must have (vin) numbers from vehicle parts were harvested from, all damage must be repaired/replaced according to regs, but it depends on inspector.take pics, before,during and after repairs. ive built several salvage veh over the years, several for personal use and several for customers , ive been in bodyshop business since mid 70s.

Ok
Thanks
I would not do a repair like this again unless I had the name and phone number of an inspector that was recommended to me.
The minor cosmetic issue that he demanded be repaired was unbelievable
I was seriously considering buying a stack of parts from the junkyard just to bolt on for the inspection and then returning them to the junkyard. Just to pass the inspection

Back
Top Bottom