• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Saltwater tanks

How did you set up the tank ,did you buy live rock?

Yes, I bought live rock and the pre-mix from a saltwater only store. 9lbs of live rock. My brother had the live sand already, he's had saltwater tanks for a few years. I used the cycled water that they used to cover the rock, I only needed 4 gallons of pre-mix to fill the tank the rest of the way. It's been cycling in this tank since Saturday and I had them check my water today before I bought the fish. Everything was fine except the nitrates were a tick high, she told me to do a 20% water change and I should be fine to add the fish. I added 5 hermits yesterday, I got them from a different store since this one was closed.

I figured the hermits would be fine because I've been watching super tiny little snails, a super tiny hermit crab, and 7 or 8 bristle worms come out of hiding the last few days. If the water was horrible, I don't think those guys would have came out or survived when I had an initial ammonia spike and my first heater was defective and the water temp got up to 85 degrees.

Sorry for the long post!

I dont know much about this light lol. Amazon special. If i say 12K LED, does that sound right? I was taking a fairly minimalist approach with this tank so this light should have been sufficient without breaking the bank from what I've researched.

Back
Top Bottom