• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sand Blasting

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I am going to start cleaning up my old truck. I am planning on sand blasting some of the older parts to clean them up and repaint them. I tried wire brush but it's not doing the trick really. Anyone know a good place/person that does this or a decent sand blaster that doesn't break the bank? What size air compressors are needed for small sand blasters? This will be a slow process. A few parts at a time. I still drive the truck just not frequently.

I can't imagine trying to do a truck with a smaller compressor. I'd try for a dual stage, stand up for a bit cheaper, portable gas if you want something easily moved. I had a mid sized, think around 25 gallon tank single stage and it was really slow with even small parts waiting for it to rebuild pressure. I finally picked up a big 100 gallon dual stage, put it down in the basement and plumbed a hard line up into the garage. Also plumbed a line that allows me to get compressed air out in the back yard. In the garage there is a blast cabinet for small parts. Out in the yard I use a pressurized tank blaster from HFT. I think those are around $100 but I picked one up at a yard sale for $20. Works pretty good, the gun isn't great....I done times swap it with a foot pedal switch gun from Eastwood.

I have a portable unit that has lasted over 30 years and I used a 30 gal 3 hp compressor.

41uNllXLVeL._AC_SY400_.jpg

This one is similar
https://www.amazon.com/Powermate-00...e&qid=1606139005&sprefix=sand+blaster&sr=8-19

If you're doing small parts this one is okay. More time refilling.
51xS1sOAjEL._AC_SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Sandblaster-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I am going to start cleaning up my old truck. I am planning on sand blasting some of the older parts to clean them up and repaint them. I tried wire brush but it's not doing the trick really. Anyone know a good place/person that does this or a decent sand blaster that doesn't break the bank? What size air compressors are needed for small sand blasters? This will be a slow process. A few parts at a time. I still drive the truck just not frequently.

Just up the road a little.

http://www.jcsandblasting.com/

I can't imagine trying to do a truck with a smaller compressor. I'd try for a dual stage, stand up for a bit cheaper, portable gas if you want something easily moved. I had a mid sized, think around 25 gallon tank single stage and it was really slow with even small parts waiting for it to rebuild pressure. I finally picked up a big 100 gallon dual stage, put it down in the basement and plumbed a hard line up into the garage. Also plumbed a line that allows me to get compressed air out in the back yard. In the garage there is a blast cabinet for small parts. Out in the yard I use a pressurized tank blaster from HFT. I think those are around $100 but I picked one up at a yard sale for $20. Works pretty good, the gun isn't great....I done times swap it with a foot pedal switch gun from Eastwood.

I'm not doing the body. Just some of the smaller parts. That's way outside my abilities and patience. Thanks for the info.

I'll look into some of these. Thanks. I have a 30 gal compressor but I don't want to blow it up to do this.

Back
Top Bottom