• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SAR-3 firing pin

tjkane1

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
59   0
Reaction score
Recently got a Romanian SAR-3 5.56 AK. Seems to be in decent shape except for the firing pin.
You guys probably know many if not all of the SAR-3s came with the wrong hammer which caused
it to strike the pin and tail of the bolt on an angle instead of square.
I've ordered a RSA adjustable trigger with the proper hammer to prevent further damage, but the
firing pin is mushroomed and slightly angled.
The SAR-3 firing pin is shorter than other AKs and seemingly impossible to find.
Does anyone know whether a different pin can be used after shortening to the correct length?
Does anyone know exactly what that length is?
I did test fire it and it worked so the pin isn't a lost cause yet, but it would be nice to fix it.
Thanks for any info.

Recently got a Romanian SAR-3 5.56 AK. Seems to be in decent shape except for the firing pin.
You guys probably know many if not all of the SAR-3s came with the wrong hammer which caused
it to strike the pin and tail of the bolt on an angle instead of square.
I've ordered a RSA adjustable trigger with the proper hammer to prevent further damage, but the
firing pin is mushroomed and slightly angled.
The SAR-3 firing pin is shorter than other AKs and seemingly impossible to find.
Does anyone know whether a different pin can be used after shortening to the correct length?
Does anyone know exactly what that length is?
I did test fire it and it worked so the pin isn't a lost cause yet, but it would be nice to fix it.
Thanks for any info.

Hmm yeah so, you already know as you've stated the situation with the SAR3 pin being shorter and it having to hit square then at an angle? Do you know if it's all orignal with S/N's on the both and all? Just wondering. I have a SAR3 and it's dead on and perfect but all matching as well. I don't know if the pin used for the SAR3 is an AK pin just shortened or if it's a different diameter than the 7.62. Would be interested to know.

It's numbers matching except the fire control group. Somebody put a double hook ak47 fcg in.
I need to pull apart my 7.62 and compare pins. I'm on a work trip so it'll be a few days.

Pull it apart, measure, take pics.
If you make it to one of the M&G, I have spare Hungarian and Romanian 7.62 pins.
Bring the bolt, and we can try them. If one works, you could have it for I have in it.
PS to figure out the length, use the 7.62 bolt. Measure how far it sticks out in the back and file the SAR3 pin to match.
I am not a gunsmith, but that's what I would do. Then test with primed brass (no powder or bullet) to make sure you do not get slamfire.

Pull it apart, measure, take pics.
If you make it to one of the M&G, I have spare Hungarian and Romanian 7.62 pins.
Bring the bolt, and we can try them. If one works, you could have it for I have in it.
PS to figure out the length, use the 7.62 bolt. Measure how far it sticks out in the back and file the SAR3 pin to match.
I am not a gunsmith, but that's what I would do. Then test with primed brass (no powder or bullet) to make sure you do not get slamfire.

Sounds like a plan. I'll do some measuring when I get home Monday.

Well, compared the 7.62 with 5.56 firing pins and they're not even close. The 7.62 pin is too wide and thick and would not even fit in the 5.56 bolt. I think 5.45 might have a chance of working but I don't have that caliber to compare. I did compare how far out the back of bolt the pin sits and the 7.62 is about 1.2mm and the 5.56 only 1.01mm.
Here are some pics just for reference.
7.62 on top, 5.56 bottom
IMG_1111 (2).JPG

The picture really doesn't do justice to the differences.

Here's one of the bolt tail that shows how the wrong(7.62) hammer does not hit squarely. That smiley on the bottom is from the hammer. Sorry the picture sucks.
IMG_1116.JPG

And finally, the difference between the Tapco G2 7.62 hammer and the proper shaped RSA SAR-3 hammer.
IMG_1118.JPG

7.62 top, SAR-3 bottom

I'll be expanding my search on some of the AK dedicated sites. I'll keep this thread updated since I know there are a couple
of 5.56 AKs running around GA.

Well, compared the 7.62 with 5.56 firing pins and they're not even close. The 7.62 pin is too wide and thick and would not even fit in the 5.56 bolt. I think 5.45 might have a chance of working but I don't have that caliber to compare. I did compare how far out the back of bolt the pin sits and the 7.62 is about 1.2mm and the 5.56 only 1.01mm.
Here are some pics just for reference.
7.62 on top, 5.56 bottomView attachment 2236197
The picture really doesn't do justice to the differences.

Here's one of the bolt tail that shows how the wrong(7.62) hammer does not hit squarely. That smiley on the bottom is from the hammer. Sorry the picture sucks.View attachment 2236198

And finally, the difference between the Tapco G2 7.62 hammer and the proper shaped RSA SAR-3 hammer.View attachment 2236199
7.62 top, SAR-3 bottom

I'll be expanding my search on some of the AK dedicated sites. I'll keep this thread updated since I know there are a couple
of 5.56 AKs running around GA.

You have a firing pin from a thin stem bolt, same as used in AK74, AK100, Vepr, Saiga.
AK Files marketplace has a seller selling AK74 pin, extractor, extractor spring, and retaining pins for $35 shipped. DOS AK is user name, I got 2 of his kits.
Soviet stocks has the same kits for $35+shipping. Saw them today.

This is supposed to be for the SAR3 all though the picture doesn't look correct?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004618368

Pin in the link is a spring-loaded pin, hence the hat on the end of it.
It works in Arsenal rifles. Thanks for the link, I might get a couple for my Arsenals.

Back
Top Bottom