• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Saudi Terriost Purchased Glock Legally

A foreign national here on a visitors visa can purchase a long gun. In most cases they are only required to have a hunting license. Laws are a little stricter on handguns.

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]

Having a valid hunting license would be reasonable for ammunition, but I have no idea why firearms are included. He certainly wasn't 'admitted' into the US for hunting, so that wouldn't apply.

You are correct. I was referring to the idea of a right to bear arms itself.

Actually, that goes back hundreds of years in British Common Law, which is the basis for US law. In our (US) case we 'froze' the protection of that right in time by incorporating it into the Bill of Rights. In the rest of the old Commonwealth they removed those protections over time until you have the sad state of affairs we see today.

Having a valid hunting license would be reasonable for ammunition, but I have no idea why firearms are included. He certainly wasn't 'admitted' into the US for hunting, so that wouldn't apply.
The law doesn't say they had to be here for the purpose of hunting. There is nothing saying that someone sent over here on a non-immigrant visa couldn't decide to go hunting while here for what ever the visa was issued for. I don't think people here for military training are required to have any kind of visa though.
I think this is just a case of a spoiled rich kid who got butt-hurt because he wasn't used to the way someone might talk to him in the US Military system. We don't generally have classes of people here the way they do in the middle east, Asia, Inda etc. Especially not in the military. Everyone gets the same razzing regardless of their "status".

The law doesn't say they had to be here for the purpose of hunting. There is nothing saying that someone sent over here on a non-immigrant visa couldn't decide to go hunting while here for what ever the visa was issued for. I don't think people here for military training are required to have any kind of visa though.
I think this is just a case of a spoiled rich kid who got butt-hurt because he wasn't used to the way someone might talk to him in the US Military system. We don't generally have classes of people here the way they do in the middle east, Asia, Inda etc. Especially not in the military. Everyone gets the same razzing regardless of their "status".

Yeah, he wouldn't have been admitted for hunting purposes if he was here in training.

It looks like you can buy a FL non-resident hunting license for $29 online and get it instantly. If that then allows a foreigner to buy a pistol that does seem like a 'loophole', or an unintended consequence of the way the law is written.

so maybe the saudis arent the allies we think they are??

This is the bigger issue.

Who brought down the World Trade Towers?

Who was the Supreme Leader of Al Quida and where was he from?

When we went to war twice in the middle east against neighbors of Saudi Arabia, where were the Saudi Troops fighting by the side of American troops to protect the Saudi homeland?

Who brutally murdered the journalist Khassougi in another country, with no repercussions?

Saudi Arabia is an "ally" in the broadest sense of the word. As long as they keep the oil flowing, we as a nation will put up with their arrogance and contempt, doesn't matter if it's a Democrat or Republican in office.

Saudi Arabia is an "ally" in the broadest sense of the word. As long as they keep the oil flowing, we as a nation will put up with their arrogance and contempt, doesn't matter if it's a Democrat or Republican in office.

We don't need their oil, we just need them to sell it to the rest of the world in dollars only. They hold the key to our dollar having any value and our government will do any number of evil things to keep them satisfied.

This is the bigger issue.

Who brought down the World Trade Towers?

Who was the Supreme Leader of Al Quida and where was he from?

When we went to war twice in the middle east against neighbors of Saudi Arabia, where were the Saudi Troops fighting by the side of American troops to protect the Saudi homeland?

Who brutally murdered the journalist Khassougi in another country, with no repercussions?

Don't forget, China was our ally during WWII, as was Vietnam and Iraq. Iran was our ally up until the late 70's. They still claim that Turkey is our ally though I really don't see how. The US has long been known for having allys who turn on us and in many cases they use our own equipment against us. Oh, damn. Let us not forget the big one. USSR was our ally at one time too but almost as soon as the war was over they turned on us. I think we need better vetting for who is and who isn't an ally.

Yeah, he wouldn't have been admitted for hunting purposes if he was here in training.

It looks like you can buy a FL non-resident hunting license for $29 online and get it instantly. If that then allows a foreigner to buy a pistol that does seem like a 'loophole', or an unintended consequence of the way the law is written.
I think the point I am after that you are missing is that it doesn't matter what the reason he was admitted into the country was. He could be here for training and still be allowed to buy a firearm in certain instances and it is not as hard as some people seem to believe. Someone can be here for educational reasons and still be allowed to buy a firearm to hunt.

Don't forget, China was our ally during WWII, as was Vietnam and Iraq. Iran was our ally up until the late 70's. They still claim that Turkey is our ally though I really don't see how. The US has long been known for having allys who turn on us and in many cases they use our own equipment against us. Oh, damn. Let us not forget the big one. USSR was our ally at one time too but almost as soon as the war was over they turned on us. I think we need better vetting for who is and who isn't an ally.

Yeah Iran turned on us after we sponsored coups to overthrow their government and made deals with them where we just stole their money. Those bastards!

I think the point I am after that you are missing is that it doesn't matter what the reason he was admitted into the country was. He could be here for training and still be allowed to buy a firearm in certain instances and it is not as hard as some people seem to believe. Someone can be here for educational reasons and still be allowed to buy a firearm to hunt.

Nope, I see that if he bought a hunting license it doesn't seem to matter.

The other exceptions you mentioned all DO matter as to why he was admitted to the US though. Only the 'purchase a hunting license' option seems to not care why they were admitted in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom