• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage AR $469

I think it's a solid deal on a rifle built by a company who has been pumping pretty decent rifles....

Ruger/Smith need to stick with wheel guns... just my 2 cents

I don't know man. I can't speak for the Ruger but the M&P15 sport 2 is a dang good rifle for the money. I do own one but if it were a POS I would be the first to say so, and I would get rid of it and buy another Colt...Which I may end up doing anyway.

The M&P tends to run dirty, my biggest criticism. Probably something to do with the carbine length gas system.

I met a fellow ODT'er during a carbine class and he had an M&P sport in 5.45 that had close to 10k rounds through it. He was talking about changing out the barrel.

These Savages look like a good value. I like Savage rifles. You get a lot of performance for the cost, most of the time.

From the little bit I got to handle the Savage at NRAAM it seemed like a nice, budget rifle with a few really cool features.

The furniture is pretty decent. If you're a MagPul fanboy then you won't like it, but it beats the cheap, throw-away stuff Ruger and Smith put on their budget guns.

The gun is light and I like the 223 Wylde chambering they use. All the reviews say it's pretty accurate, and what's not to love on a sub-$500 price point?

Don't get me wrong, the Ruger and the Smith are great budget ARs as well. I've had both and really liked them, but I think Savage really brought a lot to the table with this one.

I like Savage bolt guns but did they really need to produce a mid-level (maybe entry-leve) AR?
I'd probably just spend the extra cash to step up to a Colt OEM and add some furniture I have lying on the shelf.
...it's not Blackhawk tho....does that make me an AR snob?

I heard an interview with one of their head-honchos and he explained that Savage wanted to have an entry level and mid-upper tier entry in every firearms category. WHen asked about non-rifles, he stressed the 'every' category.

They understand the idea that if you aren't growing you are dying and his feeling was that a hyper-competitive time was perfect for them to enter the market, because they could add value that other companies weren't at that price point.

The AR furniture is a good example. I'm not a huge fan of the Blackhawk stuffs styling, but the handguard seemed very comfortable, and had built in QD points. The buttstock worked as well as any Magpul, and again, comes with QD points out of the box. The grip was better than an A2...kind of funky looking but actually pretty comfortable.

SInce I really only use Magpul for mags, I might still swap in my favorites (Rodgers, Ergo and B5) but honestly I could also see running it with the stock stuff very happily for a while. And most people would look at Magpul-ing it and have a serious problem with the extra $200 to 'upgrade' the stock stuff that actually has more built-in functionality.

Back
Top Bottom