• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage AR $469

So I just pulled the trigger on one of these Savage ARs. At that price it's hard to say no, and the reviews have been pretty positive so far.

AR's are like buying a car . My builds starts out cheap with good main components . Then before you know it you ad on he little extras and Bam ! . Love all of my Savage Arms , wondered why they took so long to hop on the train .

Got the rifle in over the weekend and put the first 50 or so round through it Monday, straight out of the box. Took it home and cleaned it up a bit, checking it over as I went, and I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with what they managed to fit in at that price point.

From the outside in, the Blackhawk! furniture is pretty nice. The front stock is thin and comfortable to use, with an excellent heat shield and places to install QD mounts. The butt-stock is very similar to one of the MagPul CTR units, and seems solid. The pistol grip is kind of weird looking, and I found it was way to narrow for me at the top, leaving my trigger finger way on the trigger at the second joint instead of the first. If you have small hands this may work, but I already swapped a Magpul MAID grip on instead.

I won't go over the barrel specs, but it's really accurate. This was an indoor range, but even so I was doing quarter-sized groups offhand without a sling or any other support at 25 yards. On a rest it should be MOA without any problems, even with the non-free-float barrel.

That was also using the little pop-up rear peep sight included as a backup sight. It actually worked pretty well but again, a rifle with this potential really needs a decent scope. The only thing negative is that the trigger is pure Mil Spec, and you would probably want something at least a little better to get this gun really locked in.

I think the upper is standard, but the lower has at least one interesting feature. They have it drilled and have fitted an adjustable polymer/metal screw that presses against the rear retaining pin block in the upper, to keep tension between the two halves. I've heard that locking the upper and lower together helps accuracy but never seen this implemented 'in the wild'. .

The internals look well put together but standard. No tool marks and the barrel looked very clean, although I don;t have a borescope or anything to really see details.

All in all a pretty good amount of bang for the buck when talking about an under-$500 AR. I'm looking forward to getting a scope and a sling on it and trying it out then.

Back
Top Bottom