• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage FV-SR upgrades

Duce4trey

Default rank <4000 posts
KEYBOARD OPERATOR
58   0
Reaction score
I have a savage FV-SR that I want to build out for my 10 year old daughter. I just bought a boyds tacticool stock and ordered the DIP bottom metal and trigger guard. My question is should I install pillars and bed the action? Would it make that big of a difference on a 22? Any input would be great.

Also, has anyone installed the apache trigger upgrade kit? Curious if it's worth the coin.

I did the apachee trigger upgrade, and it was definitely worth the $$. I did the Boyd's stock, DIP metal, and Apachee Trigger. It shot better than my CZ 455...

I'm a pretty cheap son of a gun. Kept the stock stock and added the god-a-grip cheek riser for $20 bucks.

http://godagrip.com/cheek-pads-2/

I got the 5/8" thick model and it works like a charm!

Mine also loves Aguila std vel ammo over CCI std vel with my evercore silencer.

That Boyd's stock is nice - she is gonna love it! Not sure about the pillar bedding/etc. What I've read is that is what you need to keep the needle threading ability but don't have any experience.

image (36).jpeg

This grouping was with Aguila at 100yards with a bipod in a decent wind. If the wind would have cooperated I bet I could tighten that group up.

I've only did the Boys stock and DIP bottom. I'm not a trigger junkie so I just set my accu-trigger to a nice pull. I dont think I've heard anything negative about the Apachee though.

With regards to bedding the stock, its up to you, is it just a .22 and its unless you're going to be entering into some comps with it I dont know if its worth it. I made sure my barrel was free floating and that was it.

If just a plinker, don't worry about bedding it. If you want more accuracy, bed it. The Boyds Tacticool stocks feel good in hand, but have flex and the laminated wood is somewhat spongy. I have not gotten around to it, but I plan on bedding my 455 with a Boyds stock for the same reasons. The FVSR also has less than desirable action screw/receiver interface that likes to move around alot. Bedding reduces/eliminates this.

Another thing to look at would be a kydex cheek riser. They are like 40 bucks and an easy install. Especially useful if more than 1 person will be using the rifle. I have a Matthews Fabrication on my 455 and love it. https://matthewsfabrication.com/product/adjustable-kydex-cheek-rest/. You can get them on Amazon and similar ones for a bit cheaper. Seeing Hayata Hayata post about the God-a-grip riser in the past, I got one for an FVSR I had. Didn't work for me, but your mileage may be different.

It will definitely start off as a plinker to get her out shooting more.
It will just depend on how much she enjoys it if she wants to do any comps as she progresses with shooting.

The OEM stock is the biggest fault I had with the rifle. No cheek weld and lots of flex near the barrel. I liked the looks of the Boyd's "Tacticool" but decided to go with the Evolution since its a little lighter. No regrets.

I have the Apachee kit installed on mine as well. Nice upgrade and worth the $$$ IMHO. With the OEM Accu-trigger set at the lowest level it was around 2.75 lbs. With the Apachee kit installed I have it set at 18 oz. You can get down to around 14 oz if you want but any lower and you can run into some problems.

If you'll be shooting from a bench, get yourself a nice bipod. Harris makes good stuff.

Throw on the scope of your choice and you're good to go.

FVSR-1000PX.jpg

The OEM stock is the biggest fault I had with the rifle. No cheek weld and lots of flex near the barrel. I liked the looks of the Boyd's "Tacticool" but decided to go with the Evolution since its a little lighter. No regrets.

I have the Apachee kit installed on mine as well. Nice upgrade and worth the $$$ IMHO. With the OEM Accu-trigger set at the lowest level it was around 2.75 lbs. With the Apachee kit installed I have it set at 18 oz. You can get down to around 14 oz if you want but any lower and you can run into some problems.

If you'll be shooting from a bench, get yourself a nice bipod. Harris makes good stuff.

Throw on the scope of your choice and you're good to go.

View attachment 1184518

Did you install pillars or bed your stock?

Back
Top Bottom