• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Saw 2 things in the class I taught this weekend that I’ve never seen before.

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
194   0
Reaction score
Taught a 1,000yd Basic Precision Rifle Course at Elk River Training Center in Pelham TN this past weekend.

On Sunday, after the students had left, I was cleaning up the range and pulling my steel down.

Beside the 800yd steel I saw a bullet lying in the grass. Seen that many a time, and I picked it up. I discovered that the bullet had absolutely no damage to it. If it hadn’t been for the marks from the 5 lands and grooves on the bullet, I would sweat it had never been fired.

IMG_0717.jpeg

On Saturday we were confirming/obtaining 100yd zeroes. One of the students was shooting a Bergara PRO HMR .308 with a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x, with a Silencerco Hybrid 46.

I had mounted his Silencerco ASR brake weeks ago, and checked alignment on it. Perfect. His can is in jail at Elk River Training Center, and he was using it conjugally at the course. A Geissele suppressor alignment rod was used to check the can once mounted. The rod slide through cleanly with no contact, but was not verified visually.

Student puts his first 3 shots inside .5MOA or better.

Shot #4 was several FEET over his target.

Shot #5 struck the ground about 50 yards in front of his target.

We start checking EVERYTHING. Eventually, we found this!

I’ve seen baffle and end cap strikes on suppressors before, but never one this “minor” before. Just barely kissed it.

Using the alignment rod, you could see that it was not centered in the end cap. It wasn’t touching, but it was definitely off center.

We installed my Silencerco Omega and visually the alignment rod checked perfect and dead center. Checked another student’s Silencerco Hybrid 46, and it was also centered.

My opinion is there is an issue with the QD mount on the can. That is a quick, easy, and simple fix. Hoping that will be the diagnosis.

Set the can aside, and the student used the same rifle all weekend with no can on it with great results. He shot very well with hit, and had no issues getting hits at 1,000yds.

IMG_7232.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom