• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR and Pistol. Is it the only smart way to go for 300blk?

nSquared

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
6   0
Reaction score
With the price reduction in AR platform based firearms, I began to really consider looking at 300blk. I'm considering this for home defense purpose and read some pretty decent things in regards to ballistics, etc. Nothing earth shattering but, good none the less. I also read that going with a full length setup is pretty much a waste of barrel as the powder will have already burned up, not allowing for velocity benefits of a longer barrel. Also, another point of 300blk is for suppression.

Is all of this true? While a full length barrel may no hurt anything "still assuming it's a pistol length gas system", adding a suppressor to the length hurts maneuverability. With all of this being said, tax stamps, and suppressor, the cost for the rig increases quite a bit. Is it worth it or am I thinking too far ahead? I tend to do that.

I wouldn't have a 300blk with a barrel longer than 10". Here's mine with a shockwave brace. Been saying I'm gonna SBR and buy a can for two years now.
IMG_20161229_121847937.jpg

I have a 16" .300Blk AR and am having a .300Blk bolt action made with a 16" barrel. Both will sometimes be used by my daughter with transonic loads for deer hunting, as well as by me engaging targets out to 400yds during my Guerrilla Sniper course.

I hunted with an ar in .300 blk with a 16 barrel supersonic suppressed this year. Great results and greatly reduced noise. I'm looking for a 10 inch upper to make the rig a bit less cumbersome to tote around.

For home use, I'd opt for the short barrel for maneuverability in the house.

Don't see a need for a .300 BLK rifle in a standard (16") barrel with a round that was designed to burn fully in 9 inches. But then again, I see people running around with 18" 6.5 Grendels, which need to be 24"-26" and I personally am building a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun which just makes me a hypocrite.

For the .300Blk's I'm doing, I just don't wanna mess with doing an SBR. Neither will be used in an application where the extra inches will be a hindrence, and I need one of them to reach a minimum of 400yds, preferably 600.

For the .300Blk's I'm doing, I just don't wanna mess with doing an SBR. Neither will be used in an application where the extra inches will be a hindrence, and I need one of them to reach a minimum of 400yds, preferably 600.
For that role, I would have thought something in 308 would be preferred.

Back
Top Bottom