• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR and Pistol. Is it the only smart way to go for 300blk?

if you reload you should consider 6.8. Especially if you hunt as there are some barrels out there that will stabilize a heavy subsonic bullet but also be a tac driver at 300+ yards with lighter (110 grain bullet)

I have a 16.5 lb single shot, bolt action, right bolt left port .243 with a 22" barrel. Why? I really have no idea but its a .25 minute gun with Factory Winchester 58 grain Varmint X and I love it. Thats sometimes all the reason you need.

With the price reduction in AR platform based firearms, I began to really consider looking at 300blk. I'm considering this for home defense purpose and read some pretty decent things in regards to ballistics, etc. Nothing earth shattering but, good none the less. I also read that going with a full length setup is pretty much a waste of barrel as the powder will have already burned up, not allowing for velocity benefits of a longer barrel. Also, another point of 300blk is for suppression.

Is all of this true? While a full length barrel may no hurt anything "still assuming it's a pistol length gas system", adding a suppressor to the length hurts maneuverability. With all of this being said, tax stamps, and suppressor, the cost for the rig increases quite a bit. Is it worth it or am I thinking too far ahead? I tend to do that.

Short answer. Yes.
Buy/build you a 9 or 10 inch AR PISTOL in .300blk and suppress it. Then shoot hogs and coyotes with it at night to keep it sighted in as your go-to "klunk in the night" gun.

took my one deer this year with a SBR 300 8" barrel using Barnes TSX. the shot i took was under 40 yards and the doe ran about 50 yards before expiring.

i think next year that i will probably go back to a 16" 6.8 because it seems to be a more humane way to harvest. they rarely make it past 10 yards with that caliber.

the 300 sbr did its job at close range but i'm not 100% convinced that its the best setup.

took my one deer this year with a SBR 300 8" barrel using Barnes TSX. the shot i took was under 40 yards and the doe ran about 50 yards before expiring.

i think next year that i will probably go back to a 16" 6.8 because it seems to be a more humane way to harvest. they rarely make it past 10 yards with that caliber.

the 300 sbr did its job at close range but i'm not 100% convinced that its the best setup.

Can you explain in detail the shot placement and angle of the deer?

FullSizeRender (21).jpg
Here is my set up with a 10.5" barrel, 9" barrels were no where to be found when I was putting it together. cycles subs and supers with no problems at all, the only downer is 2 tax stamps to set it up

if you reload you should consider 6.8. Especially if you hunt as there are some barrels out there that will stabilize a heavy subsonic bullet but also be a tac driver at 300+ yards with lighter (110 grain bullet)

I've played with 6.8SPC. It just doesn't interest me.

Back
Top Bottom