• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR and Pistol. Is it the only smart way to go for 300blk?

Funny. I have a dislike for 300 and .270. There's no reason why really. I just have never really cared for them.

I will say, however, that I have seen more actual reports of hunters having issues with 300 (both sub and super). Now of course that could be for a variety of reasons, but it does seem to be a common theme.

My buddy loads the 125grn NBT load that I have for deer. He's been killing deer and hogs with it for years down in South Georgia, using a 16" carbine. He likes it a lot.

I love .280 Remington and hate .270 Winchester, and there ain't a whole lotta difference between the two, ballistically speaking.

I love the concept of building an SBR'd 300 but, I just do not have the patience to wait out the stamp. I could handle it if I could at least acquire the items for the build but, of course the legalities. Patience is definitely a virtue that I lack.

I love the concept of building an SBR'd 300 but, I just do not have the patience to wait out the stamp. I could handle it if I could at least acquire the items for the build but, of course the legalities. Patience is definitely a virtue that I lack.

Always build it as a pistol lower and when the stamp comes through put a real stock on it

Your reason in the OP is the only reason I've ever considered 300. Build a short 8.5" pistol that I could slap a can on and use for home defense and take across state lines without notifying the ATF. With today's prices you could build the pistol starting at around $400.

For hunting, I prefer a round with a high SD, which is why 25-27 cal booollets are the bees knees. For just shooting, I'll take BC over SD any day and let's be honest, the 6.5 CM is great at both, with low recoil, and that's why its a better .308.

Your reason in the OP is the only reason I've ever considered 300. Build a short 8.5" pistol that I could slap a can on and use for home defense and take across state lines without notifying the ATF. With today's prices you could build the pistol starting at around $400.
But, you may already have a lower that's legally considered as "pistol lower". I don't recall the red tape for that as, I've never bought one. With me not having a registered pistol lower, having an SBR'd lower is a no no. I'm no goody two shoes and what ppl do in their home is their business. However, If I risked it and ended up using it in a defensive manner; the consequences would be major. To the point I may wished that I were at the business end of the situation.

But, you may already have a lower that's legally considered as "pistol lower". I don't recall the red tape for that as, I've never bought one. With me not having a registered pistol lower, having an SBR'd lower is a no no. I'm no goody two shoes and what ppl do in their home is their business. However, If I risked it and ended up using it in a defensive manner; the consequences would be major. To the point I may wished that I were at the business end of the situation.

I'm saying I would just go buy a pistol lower and build one. I've seen pistol lowers for $130 at PSA.

Me personally - I already own a few SBR lowers, but I would build a 300 in pistol config just so I could take it across state lines without having to notify the ATF.

I'm saying I would just go buy a pistol lower and build one. I've seen pistol lowers for $130 at PSA.

Me personally - I already own a few SBR lowers, but I would build a 300 in pistol config just so I could take it across state lines without having to notify the ATF.
Oh ok. I gotcha.

Can you explain in detail the shot placement and angle of the deer?

broadside and right behind the front shoulder. below center about 5 inches from a miss low. it was a lung / heart shot for sure. lots of blood from the animal's nose and mouth.

i don't think that the round generated enough velocity to generate hydrostatic shock to the vital organs. this is why i think that the 6.8 is superior.

Back
Top Bottom