• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBS’ing a SxS

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
I recently sent off a Form 1 to cut a Stevens 530A SxS 12ga down to around 10” and reconfigure the stock into a pistol grip, ala “Mad Max”. Highly impractical, but I’ve always wanted one and it’ll be a range toy.

Cutting the barrels down and filling in the cavity between the barrels will be no problem; I’ve done those before, although never below 18.5”.

What I’m wondering about is cutting the stock down to a pistol grip only. The stock bolt attaches the stock to the frame. When I cut it down, I don’t want a big hole in the back of the grip where my palm goes. I want to get rid of the stock bolt completely. I can cut the excess stock away, fill in the hole, and shape it, but then how would you go about attaching it to the frame?

Here is an example of what I want to do.

Thank you for your recommendations.

CFFDC25F-C9F8-4CCB-94F6-ACDB61912F5E.jpeg

Cut a wooden plug, stain/finish to match. Perhaps put a threaded stud in the plug, so you can screw something into it pull it out if you ever need access to the bolt.
You could also make some kinda butt plate, and perhaps put a lanyard loop on it. Might want a lanyard to wrap on some idiots wrist that decides to shoot both barrels together one handed. I could see this thing eating some dirt otherwise. Haha

I want to able to remove the grip when needed. I’m thinking of shortening the stock bolt and making a wood or brass plug to fill the hole, maybe with a magnet on the tip.

I want to able to remove the grip when needed. I’m thinking of shortening the stock bolt and making a wood or brass plug to fill the hole, maybe with a magnet on the tip.
How about welding a metal plug to the cut down bolt itself? Thread the plug, screw it on and then do a small weld to make it permanent. It would act as the bolt head and be much stronger and removable. You could even add a lanyard ring to the plug if you wanted to.

When I cut down the stock on my Smith pump gun I cut further back than I intended the finished product to be. See you have to cut conservatively as to not cut past where the little shelf part is where the bolt head and washer sit. It took about a week with a wood rasp and sanding blocks to get it where I wanted it.
In for pics of your SXS. I always wanted one of those too.

Sometime in the past I saw a similar shotgun and it had a small brass buttplate covering the hole. Looked good.
I never refinished the grip on my project. I did by a dowel and cut it to size then shaped it to the grip. I never glued it in because just like the OP I realized I may want to change it put to a full stock at some point.
It's worth checking for size. The grip on mine has a bolt hole that a 12 gauge shell fits very snugly into. I thought about cutting down a high brass shell to get close to flush and tapping it lightly in there up to the rim.

I never refinished the grip on my project. I did by a dowel and cut it to size then shaped it to the grip. I never glued it in because just like the OP I realized I may want to change it put to a full stock at some point.
It's worth checking for size. The grip on mine has a bolt hole that a 12 gauge shell fits very snugly into. I thought about cutting down a high brass shell to get close to flush and tapping it lightly in there up to the rim.
The brass of a shell would be a cool plug. Could drill out the primer hole, put a female threaded insert, or QD plug and bed it in with JB weld or something. Kinda like how they add QD plugs to wood or poly stocks.

I’ve done it by cutting down the bolt for stock attachment then I took brass solid brass rod drilled taped to fit butt stocks cut in straight grove so could just unthread to remove if I were to do it again I try to find a Allen head bold then turn down the shaft to fit in the mounting hole polish it up !

Back
Top Bottom