• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scale stabilizing

Eglock86

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
49   0
Reaction score
Iv got some wood scales im finishing up, iv got enough things going on and don't really want to buy all the stuff to do it, I also want it done right. Does anyone here do it ? I'd obviously pay for time, material, and shipping.

Two members of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild do decent stabilization. Don't know if they do individual items like scales, thin cut wood tends to warp and twist. Most is done in block form then cut to scale dimensions. Worth checking with these guys. You'll have to google as I don't have their contact info with me at the moment.
Warren Glover - Bubba Knives, just outside of Gainsville.
Ron Carper - Near Jasper (I think)

Quick question - what is the wood, some don't need or gain anything from the process.

Thanks for the info...some of the wood is currently in 2x2x8" blocks. I should have been more clear in what I meant.
The wood is an oak burl, they would be fine with some oil...but I was hoping someone here was in the hobby. Ill look them up.

Two members of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild do decent stabilization. Don't know if they do individual items like scales, thin cut wood tends to warp and twist. Most is done in block form then cut to scale dimensions. Worth checking with these guys. You'll have to google as I don't have their contact info with me at the moment.
Warren Glover - Bubba Knives, just outside of Gainsville.
Ron Carper - Near Jasper (I think)

Quick question - what is the wood, some don't need or gain anything from the process.

If that oak is not cured out, but green cut, be prepared for some wicked twisting and warping as it dries. The way of oak burl - It's quite porus compared to many other hardwoods so it out gases moisture in an erratic fashion in burl cuts.

Back
Top Bottom