• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scanner and 3D printer ?

Is the part directly visible? I ask because that smooth, glossy finish isn't how printed parts come out. I can print 12x12x15, no scanner though. I'm in Athens.

I have the part
It looks cast plastic

If it’s 3D printed , is it going to come out rough?
I’ve never seen anything in person that was 3D printed .

There are different types of plastic. For a car it really should be ABS or Nylon since they stand up to heat better. I looked for a sample pic so you'd understand what the native finish looks like. There are ways to apply finish to printed parts to make they smoother and even glossy.

strong-arm-hook-3d-printing-98746.jpg

That part won’t scan very easily bc of the gloss and lack of detail. Your best bet is to get someone to cad it up for you.
A resin printer can print it smooth, but build platforms on resin systems like DLP are smaller than your dimensions.

I’d post something up on 3dprintforum or thingverse, there are folks on those sites that can help.

You would be much better off making a mold of that part and casting multiples with resin, that is what any model making shop would recommend.

A 3D print will require too much finishing to make it look like a finished part. And, 3D scans are not clean enough IME, better off just 3D modeling it if you really wanted to 3D print it.

There are 3D printers that will create high definition ABS parts, as in very little finishing needed, but you will be paying a model shop for it and it won't be cheap. Probably over $1000 for something that size.

Resin would be fine
Don’t care what it’s made from

But also don’t want to pay a fortune for it

I’m sure this one was cast plastic in China for 2 cents a pop
But it’s no longer being produced
I literally bought the only one available in the US and it took a lot of hours on the net searching for it.

Back
Top Bottom