• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me - How not to get ripped off by out of state purchase

Bagman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Dental Floss Tycoon
58   0
Reaction score
Situation is this:

Posted a Wanted to Buy item. Receive a response form a guy who joined last Wednesday, no posts, deals or feedback obviously. He's in North Carolina.

I know all about having the gun shipped to an FFL for a legal transfer. My issue is how is payment handled and receipt of said gun guaranteed?

Interesting question. How much is involved ? You really want someone to hold escrow, but I don't know how you'd work that.

Just like any purchase you make on gunbroker or ebay, theres trust involved. How you gain that trust when the seller has no feedback? You can't. You are really taking a gamble, especially when they dont even have a history of posting on here.

My suggestion would be to browse gunbroker, at least theres a feedback system. I've seen too many cases of people getting shafted, having to get the authorities involved, etc. I dont know what kind of gun it is, what the price is but is it worth that kind of headache?

Maybe try PistolPay? Like PayPal but for firearms that way you are protected. Or you could have him bring it to the FFL that will be shipping it and send the FFL a check. Little bit of insurance there.

Never thought about sending payment to their FFL but that doesn't totally protect you either, thats if their FFL would even do that. If I held an FFL and something called me up suggesting that I'd ask if they're a Nigerian prince.

Never thought about sending payment to their FFL but that doesn't totally protect you either, thats if their FFL would even do that. If I held an FFL and something called me up suggesting that I'd ask if they're a Nigerian prince.

True. It's hit Or miss and may cost you a bit extra. Take a chance, keep his info and maybe get a copy of his DL. You're going to take a risk either way but take a chance and see what happens.

Turns out he was also trying to make a sale with another member on our site. Would only accept a cashiers check, no PayPal. Buyers beware.

Over the years trading on GB the most common form of payment is USPS money order. Federal crime if things go wrong. Buyer sends MO, seller ships. If the seller defaults the feds WILL get involved.

Back
Top Bottom