• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on a STEN

Here’s the deal. It’s a tube gun. Built at a time when the British were about to be screwed . It was a simple solution to a life threatening problem.

That being said the mags are the problem. 9 out of every 10 sten mags are trash . Find good ones that work and stick with them. Other than that I cannot continue life without a sten. I’ll explain why.

I’ve fired so many rounds down my sten the barrel went smooth. I also completely wore down a sear to the point it would run away. I bought a new barrel and sear for $120 total.

The gun is really simple and easy to repair with no tools. You can break it down and conceal it easily . The sten is just that mule everyone kicks but still uses. The sten was my first machine gun. Tons of parts are available and they are cheap. It’s a win win for sten

As for how it sounds suppressed ... mmmm nice .

Open bolt guns are usually terrible suppressor hosts. The combination of an open bolt, SHORT barrel, and spring weight do not lend themselves to quietness.
Combined with the general lack of ability to find heavier springs (to hold the bolt closed a bit longer/absorb the the increased recoil) also throw a wrench into the plan.
STEN's are fun guns, but not the most reliable from the get-go.

I'd get one as I do like them better than other MGs in their price range, but not for a suppressor host...

YMMV
Um no. Don’t need heavier springs as every single open bolt on the planet has a heavy bolt to start with . You are seriously confusing the concept of blowback guns with light slides being loud VS open bolt guns with heavy bolts . You hear the clack... that’s it .

The Mac 10 , uzi , sten and tons of other open bolt guns sound awesome suppressed . Also the only hard part to obtain on the sten is the Austen mag loader .

Also short barrels keep rounds subsonic . Again ... quiet . Saying the sterling mag was better designed than the sten mark 2 is just insane . The fast production of the sten mark 2 kept the British alive

Having had a Sten (I had to sell it for my son's college education) I would buy another if the opportunity arose. Get a Mk II, don't get a III. You can add some mark V components (stock and vertical grip) to a II to make it a better shooter. Mags can be a bit finicky, so you might have some mags that just don't want to work. If you can find them, the 50 round Lanchester mags worked well. I do like the feel and balance of a Sten in addition to the slow rate of fire. I purchased a 2nd front end and had the guys at Accurate Ordnance thread it and add a 3 lug. I agree its not MP5SD quiet, but its not that bad. Mine did not like weak ammo. I also like the historic aspect and collect Enfields and have a Semi Bren.

Stens can be had for about 7-8K if you look around and jump on a deal. Some folks will take a Sten and have it converted to a Stenling ( Sterling clone). I have a Sterling built by the god of all things Sterling, Andrewski. I inquired about a Stenling conversion and he stated that he could not do it with certain tubes as he would have to cut where the initial tube manufacturer put the serial numbers and he could not do that. So I purchased a DLO Sterling Tube, 2 kits and had him build a Sterling. Unfortunately, Sterlings are well over 10K now.

If you live in Metro Atlanta and want to shoot a Sterling, PM me.
The 50 rounders are awesome but stupid expensive now

D2177A2F-FF35-4D20-A82E-644B8FCED5EA.jpeg

Here’s the deal. It’s a tube gun. Built at a time when the British were about to be screwed . It was a simple solution to a life threatening problem.

That being said the mags are the problem. 9 out of every 10 sten mags are trash . Find good ones that work and stick with them. Other than that I cannot continue life without a sten. I’ll explain why.

I’ve fired so many rounds down my sten the barrel went smooth. I also completely wore down a sear to the point it would run away. I bought a new barrel and sear for $120 total.

The gun is really simple and easy to repair with no tools. You can break it down and conceal it easily . The sten is just that mule everyone kicks but still uses. The sten was my first machine gun. Tons of parts are available and they are cheap. It’s a win win for sten

As for how it sounds suppressed ... mmmm nice .

Awesome thank you!! It's the gun I've always wanted and I'm about there as well.
When I was 10 my dad built a house out in the country and I used to take all the leftover lumber and copper pipes and build toy STEN guns, I've been a fan that long. Time to get real!

I would also not waste money on a sterling as the pRice’s are crazy
Awesome thank you!! It's the gun I've always wanted and I'm about there as well.
When I was 10 my dad built a house out in the country and I used to take all the leftover lumber and copper pipes and build toy STEN guns, I've been a fan that long. Time to get real!
It was by far the best $5,000 I ever spent . It’s easy to clean too! Wipe it down :lol: . It’s so simple and it works. It’s just the mags that ruin the good name of the sten as many mags are garbage and I have them all over the house serving other purposes . Like this vice handle . Sten mag body.
3ACE4AA9-5F88-450D-A185-1E5D3DE32360.jpeg

image.jpg

I've got a mk4 sterling and you can't ask for a better working little sub gun for money ! Bought xtra parts kit , 3 barrels and 30 mags about 8 years ago for 6500. Lots of fun shoot , mags load easy and work flawless!

Back
Top Bottom