• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on carrying a firearm in a commercial vehical

The short answer is "Yes"...no state law or DOT regulation that prevents a commercial motor vehicle operator from lawfully carrying a weapon in the truck in Georgia.

The long answer is some of the places you may go, rail yards, ports and defense depots may have federal no firearm policies in place. Some trucking companies will not allow drivers to carry. Lots of things to consider.... your life , your choices.

Yea... it's not against the FMCSA. However, as stated above you would fall under each state or city that you go through. If you are planning on staying local (or regional) it's pretty simple to make sure that you stay legal. If you are going OTR then you may have to dig deeper to stay legal. Is it worth taking that $20 a mile load from Atlanta to LA if once there you go to jail because of the 17 round glock mag under the bunk?

Most large carriers forbid weapons in CMVs (and for non CDL drivers in rental cars). Alot of pick up and delivery locations have rules against weapons. Ports of entry and other sensitive areas could be a problem.

As previously stated, the places you go may have firearms restrictions. Another thing to consider, some establishments allow non-invasive entry, but before exiting, the security guards will perform an exhaustive vehicle search, going as far as looking underneath the chassis with flashlights, and mirrors, and checking under the hood, making sure you didn't steal anything. If a firearm is found, it could be a problem.

Its usually against company policy. While there is no dot rule I would expect to get a hard time and have my company informed if found. As stated you must comply with state laws. If you are passing through a state where it is prohibited there are transport regs that allow you to go through with them if they are boxed and locked with ammo separate as long as you arent stopping for more than a certain amount of time. Id look all that up and confirm details and that they havent changed anything. All that being said I always carried when I drove otr but let my company know I wouldnt be taking any Canada loads and kept it locked in the box with a trigger lock and seperate ammo (it was there more for shtf while on road). Not sure if you would get any static coming through the checkpoint out of Laredo but I would be very wary about that and check the regs. Shotguns are generally legal everywhere as long as they are "normal". I wouldnt want a long gun though. I was always taking my bag, switching trucks, even taking a bus to get a truck and a load. Best to travel light. Anyway, thats my 2 cents but double check everything and often as things change all the time. If I was gonna carry a long gun it would be a breakdown 45/70 (if you can afford it) or one of them survival 22's.

Back
Top Bottom