• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on Gun Safes

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A couple of years ago I did some research on gun safes, but got sidetracked and never bought one. Now, I'm ready to pull the trigger and I'm just as confused as I was before. Here's my situation and maybe you guys and give me some guidance.

I think my biggest potential hazard is a fire. So, I'd like the safe to have a smoke/water seal and a hour fire rating at around 1200 degrees. What type of seal should I be looking for? Should I ask for a specific name? Do most safes have that type of seal now? The second hazard is theft, what should I look for in a safe there? I do think that's way down on the list as usually someone is home, I have an alarm system and I plan to hide the safe.

I not sure of the size just yet, but probably something like 36" wide and around 28-30" deep. Or whatever comes closest to that. I have a turn it needs to make on entry. The door opening is 36" wide and there is an object 37 1/2" in front of the door that the safe needs to pivot and turn in front of.

Thanks for any insight!

I would also like to ask for suggestions on a smaller volume gun safe. I have a large capacity safe that is very good. What I need now is a very secure smaller safe that will accommodate say 10 to 12 long guns with some space for hand guns ( 2-6) and can be secured to a concrete floor.

You can not go wrong with a Liberty Fatboy or Fatboy jr, Gander mt has some great sales on them and Cabelas will match there price when on sale , but yea @SafeCracka is your man to answer your question.

You can not go wrong with a Liberty Fatboy or Fatboy jr, Gander mt has some great sales on them and Cabelas will match there price when on sale , but yea @SafeCracka is your man to answer your question.

That's what I have had for the last 6 years. Make sure you go bigger than what you think you need.

That's what I have had for the last 6 years. Make sure you go bigger than what you think you need.
always buy bigger than you think you need , I have the fatboy, it is supposed to hold 64 guns, it might if they were all single barrel shotguns, but bolt rifles with scopes take up a lot more room then you think they will, I would be lucky to get 50 guns in mine, plus you always can use the shelf space so do yourself a favor and buy one bigger than you think you need ,

Back
Top Bottom