• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on the Martini Henry

Are dies and reloading components easy to come by?

Components are somewhat available. Goex FFg powder, X-ring for "relatively" inexpensive brass. Dies will run you about $80 - $100 but truthfully, all you need is a .480 Ruger sizing die for the neck. Once you fire form your case to your rifle's chamber you needn't resize it if used in the same rifle. I paper wrap my bullets for optimum fit and lube properties. Replace the horrible rear sight with a Ross 1905 rifle sight so you can adjust for windage if needed.

Components are somewhat available. Goex FFg powder, X-ring for "relatively" inexpensive brass. Dies will run you about $80 - $100 but truthfully, all you need is a .480 Ruger sizing die for the neck. Once you fire form your case to your rifle's chamber you needn't resize it if used in the same rifle. I paper wrap my bullets for optimum fit and lube properties. Replace the horrible rear sight with a Ross 1905 rifle sight so you can adjust for windage if needed.
All good to know! I may cast for these if I get one since I already cast for my trapdoor. Molds easy to come by too? Do the calibers vary?

be careful if you find one of the .303 British caliber ones, very likely a fake (I fell for it at a gunshow).
Not necessarily..a good many were converted to .303. Those are Martini Metfords and Martini Enfields. Fakes are usually easy to spot, especially markings. However, those Khyber 'smiths' are getting pretty good now.

What weight are you casting for your trapdoor? I use a 405gr RCBS bullet. You'll need to slug your bore to be sure of the minimum ID. I say that because some of these rifles have a bore that sort of 'tapers' as you near the muzzle, like a full choke shotgun. Slugging from the front my lead ball moved slowly from the front until about 1/2 down and then whoosh! It popped out of the chamber end. I paper patch up to that diameter (I'd have to get my notes out, it's been years) but if memory serves I patch a .457 bullet to .461 diameter.

The MH MKI (1871-1876) is generally the most sought after due to its connection to the Zulu Wars (the movie ZULU helped push this rifle into the spotlight) however most have been converted to the MkII. An original, unaltered MkI with its checkered buttplate, brass hingepin, and in some very rare cases a safety latch, would definitely set you back some. MkIVs, while considered the 'perfected' Martini, did not see service with any British line regiments. These were relegated primarily to colonial forces, particularly Indian units.
Then you have carbines, Martini Enfields, Martini Metfords, etc. The history is fascinating. You can't have just one.

What weight are you casting for your trapdoor? I use a 405gr RCBS bullet. You'll need to slug your bore to be sure of the minimum ID. I say that because some of these rifles have a bore that sort of 'tapers' as you near the muzzle, like a full choke shotgun. Slugging from the front my lead ball moved slowly from the front until about 1/2 down and then whoosh! It popped out of the chamber end. I paper patch up to that diameter (I'd have to get my notes out, it's been years) but if memory serves I patch a .457 bullet to .461 diameter.
I have a 1884 made in 1889. I haven’t slugged the bore but I use a lee 500 grain mold with a 459 diameter. It shot pretty good with no noticeable leading using soft lead. I’ve heard of the bores being larger that 457 but being a late 1884 model I assumed it still had a decent bore. It looks pretty good to me at least.

The MH MKI (1871-1876) is generally the most sought after due to its connection to the Zulu Wars (the movie ZULU helped push this rifle into the spotlight) however most have been converted to the MkII. An original, unaltered MkI with its checkered buttplate, brass hingepin, and in some very rare cases a safety latch, would definitely set you back some. MkIVs, while considered the 'perfected' Martini, did not see service with any British line regiments. These were relegated primarily to colonial forces, particularly Indian units.
Then you have carbines, Martini Enfields, Martini Metfords, etc. The history is fascinating. You can't have just one.
Excellent info. Thanks! I’ll certainly be digging into some interweb info tomorrow. This gives me a good head start! Anvil gunsmith makes me want to look into the Kamerladers tho :cool:

You wouldn't happen to be the guy I warned about the Khyber Martini carbine at the Cumming gun show, would you?
Nope, I got had at the Atlana Expo Center, brought it home and got concerned when I opened it up and saw crappy machining marks. That was a couple of years ago, and the last gun show I went to about a month ago that same seller had another one.

Also I shouldn't have generalized about the 303's just got a little "triggered" thinking about it.

I've seen a poor quality Khyber Pass Martini Henry in Macon. it was atrocious. I was stunned the shop thought it was an actual English produced firearm.

Back
Top Bottom