• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scope buying mistakes

One brand I'll never buy again is Bushnell. My experience they don't stand behind their product. Had one fog up and one loose zero....

Bushnell gets up in quality when you go past $600 mark. I had a vortex crossfire 2 objective lens literally fall out. But their PST line and above are pretty on point. The Gen III Razor is the industry standard for long range comps. Same can be said for Bushnell elite tactical series.

I also had 2 luepold vari-x3 scopes fail. Luepolds warranty was pretty amazing with those though. Same with vortex warranty. Haven’t had to use bushnells. I own 4 of the elite tactical scopes.

Reactions: GFB
Lots of reasonable points.

Disagree with him about tube diameter. Yes, light passes thru. But the more space there is to pass thru, the more light can pass thru. Light is like any other form of energy: The larger the pathway, the more readily it flows.

And, I'll never agree with "buy the most you can afford." If money was only for scopes, then, sure. But scopes have to compete with food, gas, mortgage, and every other financial commitment one has. If the $600 scope is good enough, then maybe you don't need the $1000 scope, even if you are jealous of your buddy. Maybe the other $400 is for your kid's education or the transmission your car inevitably needs replaced. For most of us, a scope spends north of 99.99% of time in a locked box or rifle case. If it's a tool you use to make your living, that might be a different matter.
Tube diameter will get you more travel, but most likely the lenses in your erector assembly are going to be the same size whether it's a 30mm, 34mm ,etc.

Bushnell gets up in quality when you go past $600 mark. I had a vortex crossfire 2 objective lens literally fall out. But their PST line and above are pretty on point. The Gen III Razor is the industry standard for long range comps. Same can be said for Bushnell elite tactical series.

I also had 2 luepold vari-x3 scopes fail. Luepolds warranty was pretty amazing with those though. Same with vortex warranty. Haven’t had to use bushnells. I own 4 of the elite tactical scopes.
Good info. But at $600 I can have a nice Leupold. I even have some old Redfields and Nikon I bought used that have been good scopes. I don't like spending money, but I do want good equipement. I spend a lot of time getting my scopes just right. When I have a good scope I don't even have to adjust them from year to year

A hunting scope doesn't need a bunch of trash cluttering up the reticle. The simpler and easier the better when stuff is happening fast. A Leupold scope with the fire dot reticle and a zero stop turret is hard to beat for hunting. IMO

Lots of reasonable points.

Disagree with him about tube diameter. Yes, light passes thru. But the more space there is to pass thru, the more light can pass thru. Light is like any other form of energy: The larger the pathway, the more readily it flows.

And, I'll never agree with "buy the most you can afford." If money was only for scopes, then, sure. But scopes have to compete with food, gas, mortgage, and every other financial commitment one has. If the $600 scope is good enough, then maybe you don't need the $1000 scope, even if you are jealous of your buddy. Maybe the other $400 is for your kid's education or the transmission your car inevitably needs replaced. For most of us, a scope spends north of 99.99% of time in a locked box or rifle case. If it's a tool you use to make your living, that might be a different matter.
You just pretty much explained the theory of "buy all the XYZ you can afford".
I love some of the high $$ glass thats out there, but have other things that have priority, so I wait until one of my favorites goes on sale for 600. They are way more adequate for my uses and beat the hell out of the 150-200 scopes I used to buy.

I have been waiting for SWFA superlite to come back in stock forever. I really want to compare it to my Z3.

Not sure if you bought one since you posted, but they are having a sale on them now if you don't mind it being a backorder.

Reactions: GFB
Not sure if you bought one since you posted, but they are having a sale on them now if you don't mind it being a backorder.

I have had one on back order for months.

Back
Top Bottom