• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scope picking help needed

brad30105

Default rank <200 posts
The 3 G’s
19   0
Reaction score
I've recently picked up an early '70's Winchester 70 in .264 Win. Mag and a custom Mauser in .243 that need scopes. I'm debating on whether to take the time to find a period scope to go on the Winchester, or whether to buy a new one... and a new scope for the Mauser.

I'm looking for input on old vs. new for the Winchester; and information on new scopes.

I'm a diehard Nikon Monarch guy, but since I can't buy a Monarch for $300 anymore, and I have a $400 mental block on scope purchases, I'm looking at other manufacturers. I've been told a few things in recent weeks that I would like clarification on:

1. "A Burris Fullfield II has the same light transmission as a Monarch."
2. "Vortex has a better warranty than any other manufacturer."
3. "Sightron scopes are the best deal for the money."

Thanks in advance for your input.

<<Leupold fanboy. you can easily get a Leupold VX-1 for your price range, VX-2 on the end of your range. the Rifleman series are in there as well and are very nice.

I use the 4200 series, and works very well!

I've thought about the Bushnell's for the Mauser... my issue in my area is finding a dealer withing 30-40 miles where I can do a side-by-side comparison with Monarchs, Bushnell's, Burris, Vortex, and Sightron(haven't found a dealer yet). If I find one then they don't have the others. I wish Adventure Outdoors opened on Sundays, but... I guess I will have to fight the evening traffic and go after work one day during the week.

No one mentioned whether they think the early 70's Winchester ought to get a new scope or one from that time period.... I've looked at a couple of old weaver's and a Bushnell. Just looking for input.... and maybe some offerings of older gloss black scopes. ;-)

Love the Bushnell elite line and I am/was a Leupold snob. Hate Nikon optics. Have owned three and couldn't warm up to any of them. Here good things about Vortex but have never tried anything but their red dots which I wasn't impressed with.

Back
Top Bottom