• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scoping a at with A2 front sight.

That barrel clamp for the flash light hurts me a bit.

I tried to do it up reeeeeeal nice :D

Afraid I’m not much of an AR guy, just can’t get myself enthused about em. It’s my coyote killer. I do wish the light was positioned a little better. I thought about clamping it on the scope.

SWFA usually has a combo of scope & mount, I got a couple because you basically get the mount for free. They are almost identical to the Nikon M223 mounts.
And while I admit that I am not an AR builder I would cut down an A2 front sight to make my own low profile gas block before I got out the hammer & roll punch and started banging away. Factory mount>kitchen table remount....all day err day.

Ya rly. Even used a little electrical tape to smooth out the jagged edges. How do you like them apples?

i.imgur.com_FGv1OSV.jpg
You're just trolling, right? Please just be a troll.

I'd cut mine too before taking off a factory clamped/pinned a2.
Just break out the bailing wire and duck tape. What the hell, right? A factory pinned clamp is angelic. There are ways to make a gas block ultra reliable. I have never had a gas block problem on 20 or so builds. You can dimple the barrel very easily. Just grind down a spring loaded starter punch and set the first set screw. Mark the rear with the puch and then drill a dimple. Use a very strong thread locker and done. If that doesn't make you comfortable. Then stake the rear set screw and it will never come loose. There is always a right way and there is always a wrong way. Cutting a A2 front post sight is the wrong way. For one thing it destroys the sight post. The second reason it looks like sh*t and a homeless guy did it. I an not trying to be a A hole even though it might sound like it. I have almost every tool in the catalog and I know how to use them and improvise for potential problems. I would reach out to the community and ask for a better way to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish. That's why we have a forum to come to anyway. Questions, answers, marriage counseling, sex therapy and what ever else may complicate your life.

Just break out the bailing wire and duck tape. What the hell, right? A factory pinned clamp is angelic. There are ways to make a gas block ultra reliable. I have never had a gas block problem on 20 or so builds. You can dimple the barrel very easily. Just grind down a spring loaded starter punch and set the first set screw. Mark the rear with the puch and then drill a dimple. Use a very strong thread locker and done. If that doesn't make you comfortable. Then stake the rear set screw and it will never come loose. There is always a right way and there is always a wrong way. Cutting a A2 front post sight is the wrong way. For one thing it destroys the sight post. The second reason it looks like sh*t and a homeless guy did it. I an not trying to be a A hole even though it might sound like it. I have almost every tool in the catalog and I know how to use them and improvise for potential problems. I would reach out to the community and ask for a better way to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish. That's why we have a forum to come to anyway. Questions, answers, marriage counseling, sex therapy and what ever else may complicate your life.
^^^Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. I can't be the only person who has seen an A1 sight cut down that looked just fine. Besides,they aren't being entered in a beauy contest Vess, some people don't waste time and money and energy on something that's going to get a blemish or two anyway if it sees any real usage.
I will take function & reliability over finish (and upper to lower fitment) any day.

^^^Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. I can't be the only person who has seen an A1 sight cut down that looked just fine. Besides,they aren't being entered in a beauy contest Vess, some people don't waste time and money and energy on something that's going to get a blemish or two anyway if it sees any real usage.
I will take function & reliability over finish (and upper to lower fitment) any day.
A adjustable gas block can be had for 20 bucks. I just don't see the cost or cut option being a massive financial hit. If you are going to do something just do it right. If it only cost 20 bucks I don't see it being worth the time to do that when it would take the same amount of time to change out the gas block. That's all I am saying. At the very least file it into decent shape and loose the black tape.

My biggest gripe is that, once you grind off the FSB, you can never go back. I suppose that if one wanted to put on a free float handguard, it would be fine, but I like a traditional FSB and if I decided to throw on a FFHG, I'd want the option of going back to the original configuration later if I decided to. AR's are just "supposed" to have a FSB. That's just a quirk of mine though. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom