• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scoping a at with A2 front sight.

There's an original idea a riser. One more reason cutting the sight post is a no no. That is a 10 part on Ebay. There are just so many more options over a hack saw I won't ever see the theory behind it. It won't do for any occasion for any reason under no circumstances for absolutely any purpose no matter what the situation. PERIOD!

A adjustable gas block can be had for 20 bucks. I just don't see the cost or cut option being a massive financial hit. If you are going to do something just do it right. If it only cost 20 bucks I don't see it being worth the time to do that when it would take the same amount of time to change out the gas block. That's all I am saying. At the very least file it into decent shape and loose the black tape.

Show me an adjustable gas block that costs $20. I'll save you the time because there isn't one - at least one that's even 1/2 way decent. In fact there are only a handful of good adjustable gas blocks on the market.

And you don't need an AGB anyway unless you're running a suppressor.

Shaving the gas block is a perfectly good option if you want to install a longer hand guard or if you want to run a can and reduce the gas with an enhanced or adjustable bolt. I have an AR with the FSP. I have an AR with a shaved gas block. And I have an AR with an AGB. I run cans on all of them, and they all run 100% with or without.

For anyone interested in shaving a gas block here is one of many tutorials.

Show me an adjustable gas block that costs $20. I'll save you the time because there isn't one - at least one that's even 1/2 way decent. In fact there are only a handful of good adjustable gas blocks on the market.

And you don't need an AGB anyway unless you're running a suppressor.

Shaving the gas block is a perfectly good option if you want to install a longer hand guard or if you want to run a can and reduce the gas with an enhanced or adjustable bolt. I have an AR with the FSP. I have an AR with a shaved gas block. And I have an AR with an AGB. I run cans on all of them, and they all run 100% with or without.

For anyone interested in shaving a gas block here is one of many tutorials.

You are right you can't get a adj. one for 20 but you can get a low pro for 20 bucks. I was just thinking adj. because that what I am in the market for right now.

My biggest gripe is that, once you grind off the FSB, you can never go back. I suppose that if one wanted to put on a free float handguard, it would be fine, but I like a traditional FSB and if I decided to throw on a FFHG, I'd want the option of going back to the original configuration later if I decided to. AR's are just "supposed" to have a FSB. That's just a quirk of mine though. To each his own.
The only reason I would cut one down would be because I was putting a longer rail on it.
I also prefer an FSB but to say shaving one down is a "no no" is crap.
An AR 'builder' that can't see a reason to ever cut down a factory FSB doesn't know what he's talking about.
But as long as he can't see light between his uppers & lowers he'll be an expert in his own mind.

Edit to add : and as long as he has plenty of buffer spring grease.

This a dimple set for setting gas blocks. A whopping 17 bucks.
s-l1600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom