Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5386.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
Scored two H&R topper 88's from my Wife's Dad.
Ones a 12ga and the other. .410.
He bought them both new from Woolworths back in the day.

Both had lots of surface rust and the wood stocks were beat up pretty bad.
These were farm guns and when I was dating his Daughter I remember them always being next to the kitchen door in case something needed shot.....like
Me...haha.

The .12 ga is finished and I'll start on the .410
Once I put another deer in the freezer.
I used a light gray wood stain with pre treater and burnished the woodgrain with a torch,sanded, applied two coats of satin poly and four coats of semi gloss spar urethane with steel wool
Treatment between each coat.

My father in law regrets selling them now...haha.

Gonna try a dark green stain on the .410.
Hopefully it'll penetrate better than the gray did.
May need several coats of stain between sanding.

Good work. How'd you refinish the metal, the barrel and receiver?

Single-shot break opens are fun to use, because they're so light, slim, and simple to operate.

I knew of a couple people who'd only consider a break-open shotgun for home defense, because of simplicity.
One wouldn't spend the $$ needed to by a side -by-side double barrel, so I set her up with an H&R 12 gauge *

I sold her the shotgun for $90 and she paid me a little extra to bob the barrel down to 18.5", trim an inch off the butt stock and re-attach the plastic butt plate, and I even mounted a flashlight on the fore-end, and at 7 yards the circle of light was pretty much dead-on to where the blast of pellets were going to go.

* It's just "12" gauge, not ".12" gauge, by the way. A "decimal point twelve gauge" shotgun would be one whose bore is so big that it would only take 0.12 of one lead ball of exact bore diameter, or about 1/8 of that ball, to give you a pound of lead. The full round sphere of lead that would fit perfectly in the bore would weigh 8 lbs. That's a cannon-- field artillery!).

You do you the decimal point for the .410 bore shotgun, since it's a caliber designation, and not a "gauge."
But a 12 gauge shotgun means it takes 12 lead round balls of that size to equal a pound of lead.
A 20 gauge = twenty balls per pound.

Good work. How'd you refinish the metal, the barrel and receiver?

Single-shot break opens are fun to use, because they're so light, slim, and simple to operate.

I knew of a couple people who'd only consider a break-open shotgun for home defense, because of simplicity.
One wouldn't spend the $$ needed to by a side -by-side double barrel, so I set her up with an H&R 12 gauge *

I sold her the shotgun for $90 and she paid me a little extra to bob the barrel down to 18.5", trim an inch off the butt stock and re-attach the plastic butt plate, and I even mounted a flashlight on the fore-end, and at 7 yards the circle of light was pretty much dead-on to where the blast of pellets were going to go.

* It's just "12" gauge, not ".12" gauge, by the way. A "decimal point twelve gauge" shotgun would be one whose bore is so big that it would only take 0.12 of one lead ball of exact bore diameter, or about 1/8 of that ball, to give you a pound of lead. The full round sphere of lead that would fit perfectly in the bore would weigh 8 lbs. That's a cannon-- field artillery!).

You do you the decimal point for the .410 bore shotgun, since it's a caliber designation, and not a "gauge."
But a 12 gauge shotgun means it takes 12 lead round balls of that size to equal a pound of lead.
A 20 gauge = twenty balls per pound.

Just cleaned the metal
Up with steel wool soaked in CLR....it was all it needed.

Back
Top Bottom