• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SCOTUS ruling on gun seizures

More than likely it went something like this" since your husband is suicidal you don't want the guns in the house do you? She said no, and they used that as an excuse to search the house and remove the guns, and never let her make the decision where the guns went.

Not here to argue. Call the police and throw a hypothetical question at them. Tell them your spouse took money from your safe and gave it to a charity without your permission and see if there is anything they can do about it. Or gave it to her boyfriend for that matter.
I'm fairly certain if I called the police to say my wife STOLE money they'd respond. I think we've sufficiently hijacked the thread at this point.
Back to a proper ruling by SCOTUS.....

More than likely it went something like this" since your husband is suicidal you don't want the guns in the house do you? She said no, and they used that as an excuse to search the house and remove the guns, and never let her make the decision where the guns went.
Maybe, or she could just be scared of inanimate objects.

Good ruling.
The police may sometimes engage in community caretaking activities which are non-criminal in nature but the court is saying that when it comes to the sanctity of somebody's home there is no "community caretaker exception" to the fourth amendment.

The older case about the DUI cop who turned out to be involved in a murder
is still good law, because it involved the cops car being search, not his house, and his car had already been impounded and taken from him (Towed away) as a standard police procedure following a serious traffic accident--long recognized as legitimate.

Back
Top Bottom