• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Seafoam?

Ex313

Air Force Icon Supporter
Wooba Gooba With The Green Teeth
13   0
Reaction score
My son recently turned 18. He had saved up a lot of money from his job for a down payment and with a little help from us he found a nice, used Chevy Cruze. it had 42,000 miles on it.
He bought the car from a place called "Atlanta Luxury Motors" *. It was an "As-Is" sale. All of the cars there are "As-Is".
3 months later, the dashboard is telling that the oil pressure was low and he should turn off the engine.
The car ended up at Joey Watkins in Hog Mountain. Mr. Watkins told me that he didn't think the car had ever had an oil change since it was built. He told us that he found metal in the oil and that the engine was ruined. **
Mr. Watkins told us it would probably cost about $2800 to get new (used) motor installed in the car.
We can't afford that right now, so the car is in my drive way while my son raises the money.

My wife ranted about the situation on a message board and somebody told her that all we need to do is run some "Sea Foam" throught the motor and change the oil again. The car will be drivable and the metal bits will come out.

So my question to this assembly of wizened car mechanics - Does this sound right to you?
I'm unfamiliar with SeaFoam and I understand the need to get the metal shavings out of the engine. From what I've been able to learn, SeaFoam does a good job of cleaning gunk out of the car, but I haven't seen anything yet that says it'll get metal bits out of the motor.
Any recommendations?

* I've been telling my wife and son that since he bought the car "As-Is" there's probably not much he can do about getting relief from ALM.
The GM of Atlanta Luxury Motors in Duluth accused my son of blowing up the car after he got it home. He laughed at the thought that they sold a bad car to my son and generally indicated that he didn't give a poop. I would recommend you at least avoid the branch in Duluth where my son got his car. We found out there's a bunch of BBB complaints against this guy. My son told me that he had researched the store for complaints but I'm not sure he knew what he was doing.

** Mr. Watkins refused to take any money for the diagnostic or the oil change because he didn't want my son to have to pay for Bad News. He's getting all my car business from now on.

Dang I really hate that, but yes, as others said: Seafoam will not reverse engine damage. So I have to ask, did anyone not give this car a once over before purchase?

Back
Top Bottom